FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean shown at Detroit Auto Show 2014 - BTTF

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't recall whether the DMC-12 ever made an inaugural appearance at the Detroit International Auto Show back in the day.

At a booth for an outfit named Covisint. Said to be one of the authentic movie cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/au...ef=automobiles
    Here's what the NY Times is reporting, not me, about the history of that D at the show:

At the Covisint booth, in the main corridor, several people were answering questions about the company and its cloud-based connected vehicle technology. My understanding of all that was, shall we say, nebulous. Many visitors to the booth seemed to be drawn to the “Back to the Future” Delorean – one of the originals from the film – and the foil-wrapped woman standing next to it.

Go to the link and see for yourself. I'm not agreeing that it is or isn't really one of the original BTTF cars, only pointing out what the reporter seems to have been told.

I should think somebody here knows how to spot a replica BTTF movie car and can inform the community one way or the other.

So here's more bait, the other NY Times photo of that car shown in that piece:
    BTTF inside shot.jpg

I don't follow the BTTF cars much myself and don't care to speculate about it but some of you seem interested.

Anybody?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ill check out the vin when im there on Saturday. But im also pretty sure this is not the A car.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The reporter is just parroting what they were told. It's still bullshit.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Agreed, they're just reporting what they've been told; but it's also lazy journalism in my opinion; no fact checking whatsoever.

I know some people don't care, but this happens a lot - people claiming they have an original screen-used DeLorean. Imagine if someone went around claiming they owned the original Johnny Carson DMC-12, or John Z's personal car, but were lying. How would anyone really know for sure, unless they already were DeLorean historians/fact-checkers.

It's just sad to see people and companies stooping to such low levels to gain a little publicity, especially in this internet age, when there's a good chance they're going to be caught.

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ill check out the vin when im there on Saturday. But im also pretty sure this is not the A car.
    Universal Studios absolutely does not lend out their DeLorean's. The only screen-used DeLorean Time Machine in private hands is the BTTF Part III car (BTTF3DELOREAN.COM).

This is why I have issues with replica DeLorean Time Machine's, because so many people purposely advertise their 'replica' as the real thing. As a note, that Part III DeLorean in private hands, sold for I believe well over $800,000 a few years ago. The "A" car at Universal was estimated to be valued over $1,000,000 after its restoration. Anyone who thinks they're getting an 'authentic' DeLorean Time Machine at their next birthday party, or corporate function needs to really think about how they're paying only a few hundred bucks to rent a million dollar automobile for the weekend.
    Last edited by martydmc12; 01-17-2014 at 01:55 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case... universal not lending out the car. I went and checked it out today and it was obviously a replica conversion. Talking with Chris we beleive it to be vin 3xxx. I couldn't read the dash vin as it was covered.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Judging by Josh's pics we believe that it is this DMC. However the rims have been redone or replaced.

7540384292_a07b2ecd48_b.jpg7540369486_d600d96ebc_b.jpg7540372602_6c44334371_b.jpg7540375686_d930f139f1_b.jpg7540381096_e91c16d39a_b.jpg

My VIN:    3060

The green liquid in the Mr. Fusion would indicate this is a Bruce Coulombe conversion. He's the only one I know of that does that. But that's all I am going off of in my guess.

Just leave me out of it..

It's a reproduction made by the team at Barris East Coast.

Just leave me out of it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast