FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: new guy with a few silly questions

Club(s):   (DCF)

$7,000 for a turn key EFI and a turbo kit installed is still a chunk of change though. I'm sure you will be happy with the results when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by 82dmc-12 View Post
    $7,000 for a turn key EFI and a turbo kit installed is still a chunk of change though. I'm sure you will be happy with the results when it's done.
    whats your feeling on this Eddie? is the cost of upgrading the PRV such that a swap makes more sense? when you do swaps do you configure everything with OBDII compatible sensors and the like?

OBDII has nothing to do with the sensors. On Board Diagnostics is a standard CAN protocol that the engine ECU would use to transmit analog or digital sensor/engine information to the rest of the car. The OBD connector that a scanner plugs into is able to read stored information from the ECU or live info on the CAN bus. Most of the engine swaps I do you would just connect your laptop to the ECU and be able to see everything going on. Swaps like the 2JZ that used the stock ECU I was able to connect the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) signal to the lambda light on the dash and it would flash any errors the computer saw. this works only if the ECU has the option.

My VIN:    6313

...Swaps like the 2JZ that used the stock ECU I was able to connect the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) signal to the lambda light on the dash and it would flash any errors the computer saw. this works only if the ECU has the option.
    I was wondering what to do with the Lambda light... what a most excellent idea!!!
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I was wondering what to do with the Lambda light... what a most excellent idea!!!

Another idea is to trip the lambda light if your car goes lean on a turbo car.

OBDII has nothing to do with the sensors. On Board Diagnostics is a standard CAN protocol that the engine ECU would use to transmit analog or digital sensor/engine information to the rest of the car. The OBD connector that a scanner plugs into is able to read stored information from the ECU or live info on the CAN bus. Most of the engine swaps I do you would just connect your laptop to the ECU and be able to see everything going on. Swaps like the 2JZ that used the stock ECU I was able to connect the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) signal to the lambda light on the dash and it would flash any errors the computer saw. this works only if the ECU has the option.
    gotchya, so something like the magasquirt could drive obdII enabled accessories (digital speedometers, odos, temp guages, mpg calculators etc)? or is that simply considered an EFI controller rather than a proper ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by movieman1026 View Post
    gotchya, so something like the magasquirt could drive obdII enabled accessories (digital speedometers, odos, temp guages, mpg calculators etc)? or is that simply considered an EFI controller rather than a proper ECU?

MS can output a standard Tach signal to a gauge cluster but can not send CAN messages for individual sensors. I think MS has a display you can use the MS CAN bus to send messages to but there is no support for vehicle specific CAN networks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4