FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How To: Engine mount inspection video by Stephen at DMCH

My VIN:    3937

How To: Engine mount inspection video by Stephen at DMCH

Video posted by Houston on how to check your engine mounts for condition.

The inspection shown here looks fairly easy, so my question is 'how hard is it to replace the two engine mounts' if you discover yours are in poor shape?

Anyone done this in a DIY home garage and care to elaborate on what was involved? Can engine mount replacement be done at home without a lift and special tools or is this better left to the experts?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Video posted by Houston on how to check your engine mounts for condition.

The inspection shown here looks fairly easy, so my question is 'how hard is it to replace the two engine mounts' if you discover yours are in poor shape?

Anyone done this in a DIY home garage and care to elaborate on what was involved? Can engine mount replacement be done at home without a lift and special tools or is this better left to the experts?
    Yeah, I'd venture to say you can do the mounts with a little patience and standard tools. You'll need to release the main bolts and jack up the motor a bit from beneath (from the oil pan, making sure to protect it with some wood or something) - that should get the motor high enough to finagle the mounts in and out. Just be careful not to go too high, or bend/break anything in the process.

As with any job, it's best done with the right knowledge and the right tools. If you're not comfortable doing it, don't!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6125

Just got a set of engine mounts for Christmas and looking forward to replacing them in the spring

Seems straightforward enough to just lift the engine up slightly with a floor jack and swap them out one at a time.

engine mounts

I'm replacing the oil pan on my D and losend the two bolts on the motor mounts and tried to jack it up from the transmission but the whole car started to go up instead of just the motor and transmission. So I'm assuming you have to loosen up the transmission brackets as well to lift the motor and not just those two motor mounts as previously stated? I had found a web site that had a how to and great pix but now when I got ready to do it the site is down. Anyone have a good how to with pix to post on here yet?

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxat88MPH View Post
    I'm replacing the oil pan on my D and losend the two bolts on the motor mounts and tried to jack it up from the transmission but the whole car started to go up instead of just the motor and transmission. So I'm assuming you have to loosen up the transmission brackets as well to lift the motor and not just those two motor mounts as previously stated? I had found a web site that had a how to and great pix but now when I got ready to do it the site is down. Anyone have a good how to with pix to post on here yet?
    Was the engine moving relative to the engine mounts? When I removed my engine to do a rebuild I discovered the engine mounts had corroded/rusted to the block. I had to unbolt the mounts from the frame and pull the engine out with the mounts. It then took a lot of penetrating oil, prying, and hammering to get the mounts off the engine.

Jason,

I'll have to double check and watch it tomorrow to see what it does. There is very little corrosion on any of the car as it was stored in a climate controlled garage for 20 years and currently kept garaged.

So would it be safe to assume I only need to remove those two bolts to lift the motor by jacking up the transmission or is there more to that? First time for me doing anything like that to these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Was the engine moving relative to the engine mounts? When I removed my engine to do a rebuild I discovered the engine mounts had corroded/rusted to the block. I had to unbolt the mounts from the frame and pull the engine out with the mounts. It then took a lot of penetrating oil, prying, and hammering to get the mounts off the engine.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you loosen all four nuts on the mount? If you are not familiar with the car you may not have noticed the ones on the back ( toward the front of the car). The two bolts into the frame can be hard to get out and hard it line back up. Leave them alone if you can.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I would beat the hell out of someone if they took a pry bar to my car like that. Good thing the demo car is a little worse for wear. 99 percent of the time a visual inspection is all it takes. Dry rotted and compressed =replace.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

engine mounts

Very familiar with the car Dave just never paid much attention or ever messed with the motor mounts before. I loosend both front and rear bolts. I will just have to take a better look at it later this evening. I just wanted to confirm that those were the only points needed loosened up to lift the motor by the transmission with a jack.

Josh, I was thinking the same thing with the pry bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Did you loosen all four nuts on the mount? If you are not familiar with the car you may not have noticed the ones on the back ( toward the front of the car). The two bolts into the frame can be hard to get out and hard it line back up. Leave them alone if you can.

engine mounts

So can anyone confirm?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast