FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How To: Engine mount inspection video by Stephen at DMCH

My VIN:    5804

I just removed my motor mounts for the first time this past weekend. I removed all four nuts but the mounts would not let go. I ended up having to remove the bolts holding the mounts to the frame, and jack the motor up with the mounts still in place. Once they were away from the frame, a few taps with a hammer popped them right off. I also found that the studs are frozen in the engine. I think I will leave them in place and reuse them with the new mounts. I broke off, and had to drill out, too many bolts when changing the water pump in this car and definitely don't want to go through that again!

engine mounts

That's weird you would think Jacking it up would break it free when. Loosening those two bolts on each side. So then to jack up the motor via transmission, only the motor mounts themselves need loosened up correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan81DMC View Post
    I just removed my motor mounts for the first time this past weekend. I removed all four nuts but the mounts would not let go. I ended up having to remove the bolts holding the mounts to the frame, and jack the motor up with the mounts still in place. Once they were away from the frame, a few taps with a hammer popped them right off. I also found that the studs are frozen in the engine. I think I will leave them in place and reuse them with the new mounts. I broke off, and had to drill out, too many bolts when changing the water pump in this car and definitely don't want to go through that again!

My VIN:    5804

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxat88MPH View Post
    That's weird you would think Jacking it up would break it free when. Loosening those two bolts on each side. So then to jack up the motor via transmission, only the motor mounts themselves need loosened up correct?
    I thought so too, but instead I was just lifting up on the whole back end of the car. I tried jacking from both the oil pan and the transmission, but the mounts were holding on tight. I was surprised how easily they came loose once unbolted from the frame. It literally was a few taps of a hammer.

I am by no means an expert. I just figure things out as they come along, but I believe you should be fine only loosening the motor mounts. Someone with more experience can correct me if I am wrong.

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

My mounts are stuck good to the engine, and the inner frame bolts on either side are stuck in too.

I'm worried I'll round the heads on the frame bolts

Anyone else been stuck in this predicament?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2