FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Post your "must have" and/or "essential" restoration supplies

My VIN:    5482

• 12V Power Probe for testing electrical circuits
    • Patience
    • Metric tools as others have mentioned
    • A car lift - I don't have one but damn it would be nice and make certain jobs go so much quicker!!!
    • Pneumatic tools
    • Fire extinguisher - not a joke!
    • Computer to access this forum
    • Shop manual
    • Cold beer, Whisky, and an occasional cigar
    • The ability to let the BTTF stuff roll off
    • A credit card with a good rewards program - you're going to spend a lot of $$$ on this car!
    • An understanding wife
    Jeff

My VIN:    4519

Good stuff....thanks.

Any suggestions on spray lubricants, cleaners, adhesives or other useful "expendables" to have?

I saw a post where NightFlyer mentioned welding plastic with a cable tie, so I know he must have a few super-gucci McGuyver go-to kit suggestions...

My VIN:    05457

As far as "expendables": PB Blaster or other similar solution to breakdown rust and losen frozen bolts.

Tools: Dremel with extension cable - Can't tell you how many times the dremel has saved the day. Cutting free bolts that won't come any other way, using a wire brush attachment to polish parts, and misc other uses. Also found that now that I have one I use it for a bunch of other projects.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have ended up using my "cheap" stubby wrenches more than my regular metric set. Line or Flare Nut wrenches are also helpful from time to time.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    16619

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    • Cold beer, Whisky, and an occasional cigar
    • The ability to let the BTTF stuff roll off
    • A credit card with a good rewards program - you're going to spend a lot of $$$ on this car!
    • An understanding wife
    I was getting worried that these items weren't mentioned yet! Probably the most important ones!

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost drilled by ballsacks when the drill tip snapped and bounced it onto my crotch making a hole on my pants between my inner thigh and my right ballsack.

If that went through either my thigh or ballsack (yes I have said ballsack one too many times), it would have been a painful removal cause I had to make the drill work the opposite direction to unwind my pants that were swirled on to the drill!

Not funny
    Haha, I'm sure it wouldn't be funny if you got hurt, but I just about burst out laughing at work reading this!

My recommendation: A wire brush and dielectric grease! So many electrical problems with these things just from corroded connections. I wire brush and dielectric grease EVERY SINGLE electrical connection I have ever touched.

Edit: I'm talking the small fine wire brush, the ones that look like toothbrushes.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    Haha, I'm sure it wouldn't be funny if you got hurt, but I just about burst out laughing at work reading this!.
    WORD!
    Excibit A:
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I saw a post where NightFlyer mentioned welding plastic with a cable tie, so I know he must have a few super-gucci McGuyver go-to kit suggestions...
    I've been tinkering with cars with my Dad since I was 10 years old. Over the course of 30 years, one tends to acquire a lot of tools - some quite useful, others not so much. I honestly don't recall having ever bought a tool specifically just for the DeLorean (I even already had the 5/16" square bar stock for the oil drain plug, as a lawnmower I previously owned used a similar plug).

And as I'm always on a budget, you learn to improvise and use that which is available to you, even if it isn't always the proper/ideal tool/material for the job at hand

Then again, compared to others, I haven't had to do too much work on my D, as the original owner stored it in a temp/humidity controlled carcoon for almost its entire life prior to my purchase of it. If you really want to preserve the rubber and foam parts on the car, there's nothing better than a temp/humidity controlled carcoon. Probably the only reason that I can still run the original belts to this day without much of a worry.

One tool that I was particularly glad to have though was a very long needle nose pliers - handy for doing spark plug and fuel injector work without having to remove a bunch of parts just to gain access.

A car cover is nice for winter storage situations where you won't be doing much work to the car - I highly recommend the fitted cover from DMCH.

As other have mentioned, a good air compressor and set of air tools is always nice for working on cars, although I can't say that I've used many on the D - in fact, the only time I ever recall using an compressed air tool on the D was an impact gun to remove the brake caliper bolts. I prefer to remove/apply the wheels lugs manually with a socket wrench.

Some type of ANTI-SEIZE or NEVER-SEIZE is CRUCIAL.

A good socket set is a MUST when working on any car - both standard and metric.

I personally use an old fuel pump when changing the coolant on the D, so as to avoid the introduction of air into the cooling system as much as possible. One of the most important things on a D is a properly functioning cooling system. For my complete coolant change procedure, you can check out the following link:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?79...l=1#post125964

If I come up with anything else, I'll post as they come to mind. Unfortunately though, trips to pick up tools/materials/supplies/parts is just one of the many joys inherent in working on your car

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    One tool that I was particularly glad to have though was a very long needle nose pliers - handy for doing spark plug and fuel injector work without having to remove a bunch of parts just to gain access.
    True story: Yesterday I thought how I could really use a pair of these when I removed the shifter quadrant plate. There was a screw, a fuse, and a mystery piece of plastic that I wanted to get out. I used two long screwdivers.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I personally use an old fuel pump when changing the coolant on the D, so as to avoid the introduction of air into the cooling system as much as possible. One of the most important things on a D is a properly functioning cooling system. For my complete coolant change procedure, you can check out the following link:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?79...l=1#post125964
    Nice write-up.....

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    My recommendation: A wire brush and dielectric grease! So many electrical problems with these things just from corroded connections. I wire brush and dielectric grease EVERY SINGLE electrical connection I have ever touched.

Edit: I'm talking the small fine wire brush, the ones that look like toothbrushes.
    That's a good one, exactly the type of thing I'd like to have on hand. Otherwise, what seems to happen is: I have something apart and realize I really need [or should have] some kinda sealant, adhesive....etc. before putting it back together. If I don't have it on hand, that means not finishing the reassembly until after a trip to the store (which might not be until the next day or two.)

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast