FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grand National Powered DeLorean (Buick 3.8L Turbo V6, non-intercooled)

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Grand National Powered DeLorean (Buick 3.8L Turbo V6, non-intercooled)

It's been almost a decade since my Grand National Powered DeLorean made it's TV debut on Monster Garage, Monster Nation in the Summer of 2004,
    and it has been a few years since it had it's own thread, so with all the recent discussion (and eBay auctions) about Buick Turbo V6 powered DMC's,
    this seemed like a good time to re-start this thread in my DeLorean Projects section. I will see if I can dig through my photo archives to find more
    photos, from years ago, but I will start by posting several photos of when the car was last seen at a DCSevent, which would be DCS 2008.

GN-refurb-in-progress.jpg

GN-on-trailer-back.jpg

GN-at-DCS2008.jpg

GN-engine-at-DCS.jpg

The first photo was taken as the engine refurb was being completed in Spring 2008. The next was on the trailer, ready to head out to DCS 2008.
    The last two photos were taken at the indoor Car Show display at DCS 2008. IIRC, VideoBob got some video footage of me driving it at DCS 2008.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Cool ride Rich! I'd like to see that one in person

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Nice wheels

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Turbo on top of the engine? Odd, any heat soak issues?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1710

The DeLorean wheels center cap on top of the engine is a nice touch. Same for the GNX-esque wheels.

I can't quite tell, but it looks like the entire engine cover is vented/screened?
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Turbo on top of the engine? Odd, any heat soak issues?
    The donor engine is a basically stock appearing 1984 Buick 3.8L Turbo V6 (non-intercooled, also referred to as the "Hot Air" version).
    The turbo is in the stock location as used on the front engine 1984/1985 Buick Grand National and the 1984/1985 Buick Regal T-Type.
    Note: The turbo is relocated in 1986/1987 models (for intercooling) and the 1987 Buick Grand National GNX used ceramic turbo vanes.

As seen in the DCS 2008 car show photo, the engine cover has been modifield with a stainless steel mesh covering most of the engine,
    which allows some of the extra heat from the turbo to "exhaust" away from the rest of the engine a little more easily than a stock cover.
    While this option allows the turbo to be a little cooler than under the hood of a stock Buick Grand National, it is still a rather "hot" setup.

A little history about this car: VIN..17063 is a 1983 Canadian Spec (Metric Instrument Cluster) project car that was purchased from the
    previous owner (Geoffroy Birtz) near Toronto, Canada in the Summer of 2002, as a non-driving car with known transmission issues.
    In addition to the transmission issues, the custom bell-housing was broken in a few places, due to a lack of proper engine/trans. support.

This was one of the first big projects worked on in Dave Swingle's new garage (pre-Monster Garage Rock Crawler) and between repairing
    the transmission end cover (nut "walked off" the shaft), repairing and reinforcing the custom bell-housing, fabrication of new, additional
    mounts (between engine and transmission) and fabricating a pilot bearing mount, we also installed a new, stock DeLorean clutch assembly.

Other additional work included removing the alarm system (Dave insisted, lol - lots of wires), installing new Marty Maier KYB shocks and a
    set of front lowering springs, new TAB's and new stainless steel brake lines. As for the interior, we installed a new turbo boost gauge and
    disabled the aftermarket Canadian radio, which turned on and off whenever it liked, and when it did turn on, it was always at full volume.

More details (and photos) to follow. Other details and photos under the High Powered D section of my projects website on Tamir's website.

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    The DeLorean wheels center cap on top of the engine is a nice touch. Same for the GNX-esque wheels.

I can't quite tell, but it looks like the entire engine cover is vented/screened?
    There is a reproduction auto shifter DMC logo on the top of the engine. The stock DeLorean wheel center caps were installed in the GNX-look wheels
    with some special center insert adapters fabricated by Pearce Design. As stated in my previous post, the engine cover now has stainless steel mesh.

Back in Time ... to pre-DCS 2004

All cleaned up and nowhere to go...that was the story for the Grand National Powered DeLorean for DCS 2004.
    Parked next to the DCS 2004 Raffle Car, the GN D was already to go, until I blew a few trailer tires with D Rex.
    Since I also had the GT40 Rock Crawler and the BTTF Prop Car Replica going to DCS 2004, I either ran out of
    time, ran out of trailer space or ran out of extra drivers, since the DCS Raffle Car 'NEEDED' to go to DCS 2004.

Note: What started as an "auto-correct" error that stuck with me, so now I always use Waffle instead of Raffle
    when referring to the DCS Raffle Car, so enjoy a few more photos of the GN D with the DCS 2004 Waffle Car.

DSC-2004-Waffle-Car-and-GN-D-1.jpg

DSC-2004-Waffle-Car-and-GN-D-2.jpg

DSC-2004-Waffle-Car-and-GN-D-3.jpg

DSC-2004-Waffle-Car-and-GN-D-4.jpg

(Dave Swingle and I were doing some finishing work on the Waffle Car, which is why it was in the Chicago area)

Back in Time - the Grand National DeLorean at World of Wheels 2004

The 10th Anniversary of the Grand National DeLorean's debut at the Chicago World of Wheels was this past weekend.

The Grand National DeLorean was displayed with the Monster Garage GT40 Rock Crawler, in a "Backyard Monsters" themed display.

The Grand National DeLorean took First Place in it's class, while the GT40RC took 2nd Place, behind a "six-figure" Custom 4x4.

backyard-monster.jpg

friday-display.jpg

GN-D-front.jpg

GN-D-back.jpg

miss-wow1.jpg

miss-wow2.jpg

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    The Grand National DeLorean took First Place in it's class, while the GT40RC took 2nd Place, behind a "six-figure" Custom 4x4.
    Congrats Rich! Better start spending some big bucks on that GT40RC...

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast