FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fuel kill switch

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    With all of these "kill" options it is up to you to understand and remember what you do because guaranteed one day the car won't start and you won't know why!
    You've just reminded me of a holiday I went on without the D (I often take her) - the day after we got home I needed to head out somewhere and decided to take the DeLorean. Couldn't get her started - dead as a doornail. My first major failure. Damnit, had to take one of my other cars.

Half-way to where I was going I'm stuck at a set of lights and a bulb suddenly lights in my head... prior to going on holiday I intentionally ripped out my immobiliser plug and a bunch of relays just to ensure my D was crippled.

Doh...
    Chris

My VIN:    16419

i like the idea of killing the starter circuit. How would I go about doing that? Is that something that I would do in the fuse box compartment, attach a inline switch before the fuse?

My VIN:    03572

What I would do for a kill switch is have it disable the AUX relay (white control wire from ignition switch) and then that control wire would drive a new relay that operated the horns.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to steel a DeLorean, so I will not add a kill switch to mine. But I guess it all depends where your located and where it's parked.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Someone tried to steal mine back in October. The locks held and they didn't even get in the car, but they did enough damage I've actually been investigating a kill-switch over winter, including a Bluetooth/microcontroller one in the fuel pump circuit.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    i like the idea of killing the starter circuit. How would I go about doing that? Is that something that I would do in the fuse box compartment, attach a inline switch before the fuse?
    You just have to interrupt the W/R (white/red) wire coming off the ignition switch going to the start inhibit relay. I suggest a momentary contact NO (normally open) push button. To start the car you would hold the button as you turn the key. The switch can be located somewhere on the left side so you can hit it with your left hand as you turn the key with your right. Another idea could be to add a clutch switch so you have to hold the clutch down to start the car. It also gives you a little bit of safety but is not "hidden".
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Ever Heard of anyone Successfully Stealing a Delorean WITHOUT a KEY? I'm not talking about breaking in and stealing audio equipment.

Not to point out the obvious. These Days DUMB Criminals carry SMART phones. Just google How to do anything and get an instant answer. Like, battery location in a DELOREAN? How defeat an Ignition/ steering LOCK?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Ever Heard of anyone Successfully Stealing a Delorean WITHOUT a KEY? I'm not talking about breaking in and stealing audio equipment.

Not to point out the obvious. These Days DUMB Criminals carry SMART phones. Just google How to do anything and get an instant answer. Like, battery location in a DELOREAN? How defeat an Ignition/ steering LOCK?

As I pointed out in a previous post, if you have a determined thief they can rent or steal a tow truck and take your car away. No alarm or hidden switch is going to help. Ultimately insurance is your only recourse.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    TBA

Would a battery cutoff also keep the doors from opening?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    We put a battery cutoff in just about every car. ...The battery cutoff obviously kills everything, and not many bad guys will even know where to find the battery.
    In the process of doing my Due Diligence, I was talking about Delorean experience with a mechanic in my town. He said that a friend of his called him by cell phone with a frantic plea for help getting out of a Delorean. Per the mechanic: with the battery disconnected, the doors won't unlatch from the inside, once closed.

Is this true?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DWDuck View Post
    In the process of doing my Due Diligence, I was talking about Delorean experience with a mechanic in my town. He said that a friend of his called him by cell phone with a frantic plea for help getting out of a Delorean. Per the mechanic: with the battery disconnected, the doors won't unlatch from the inside, once closed.

Is this true?
    No.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    No.
    Here is a case where a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. It IS possible to be locked in a Delorean and not be able to open the door. It CANNOT happen with the battery off. It CAN happen when, A: with the battery on AND, B: the door lock module fails. In such a case you can either disconnect the battery, disconnect the big red wire going to the door lock module, or wait till the battery goes dead.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2