FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Remove Engine and Transmission

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

How To: Remove Engine and Transmission

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, given that this is the first time I've done this, but I documented how I removed the engine and transmission from my car over the last couple of months. I couldn't really find a good "how to" guide (admittedly, I wondered if that was because this isn't the sort of thing a novice should be doing), and the workshop manual assumes certain knowledge, so I wanted to make something a little more accessible to help out anyone else who might need to remove their engine and transmission but doesn't quite know where to start.

Obviously removing the engine/tans can be very dangerous if done improperly, and while I did it alone, you should probably have someone help you out if at all possible. A friend had helped me rebuild the top of the engine and put in a new exhaust in the past, and I had done things like replacing the radiator and hub carrier by myself, so I had enough hands-on experience to be confident in trying to pull the engine/trans. Beyond working on the DeLorean (which I've had for about a decade now, slowly learning as I went), I have no former experience with car repair. I'm not sure I'd want this to be the first thing I tried to do.

Anyway, hopefully someone will find this helpful. There are a lot of pictures with call-outs to help find bolts and such, and notes about some of the tricks I had to come up with to do things like removing the transmission mount bolts. I expect there are omissions and errors, so always have your workshop manual handy and DMCTalk running in a nearby browser.

http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...d-transmission

-- Joe

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Wow - that is a very impressive and professional looking tutorial. Great job, Joe!!

My VIN:    5510

If anyone wants to see a video where I remove the engine and transmission together (and also the fuel tank), here you go:

https://youtu.be/W_Fbzzugni8

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I gotta say that I removed my engine and tranny together over the weekend and I found this write-up to be a tremendous help. My experience varied slightly since I have a manual transmission, but it's a great resource to help make sure you get everything disconnected. Thanks for putting this together all those years ago. I never thought I would pull the motor, but the unexpected tends to happen and here I am now.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/