FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hidden treasure under my carpet

My VIN:    4519

Hidden treasure under my carpet

Today I removed the seats and while vacuuming, I felt a lump under the carpet directly under where the driver's seat goes. I pulled up the carpet & took pics:

P1260178.jpg

P1260179.jpg

Is there a known reason there would be a pedal under the driver's side floor carpet? (Is it historically significant?! Did John Z D put it there?!)

I also found two quarters near the E-Brake lever, the car now cost me .50 less than I thought!

P1260181.jpg

1985 & 1965
    P1260183.jpg

My VIN:    10722

Wink

That's the rubber cover for the dead-man's foot rest thingy (technical term ). Do you see a metal foot rest post that is naked to the left of your brake pedal and right up against the fiberglass body? If so, put it's clothes back on...

Andy

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    That's the rubber cover for the dead-man's foot rest thingy (technical term ). Do you see a metal foot rest post that is naked to the left of your brake pedal and right up against the fiberglass body? If so, put it's clothes back on...

Andy
    OR a slice in the side carpet and some holes in the fiberglass behind the carpet to the extreme left? If so that's where the dead pedal used to be
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

All pedals are intact, I probably should've mentioned that.

It's definitely "extra," I was leaning toward it being placed there intentionally for some reason. It appears to be new/unused, could it be a clutch pedal that accidentally ended up in this auto as it rolled down the line, and a worker stashed it under the carpet?

It seemed very strategically placed; directly under the center of the drivers' seat.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

At one point we had a "things found in your car" thread. There was a lot of items both from the factory and POs that raised a few eye brows.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I also found two quarters near the E-Brake lever, the car now cost me .50 less than I thought!

P1260181.jpg

1985 & 1965
    P1260183.jpg
    Wasn't there a trick where you could use a couple quarters under your seat to act as shims and raise the seat enough to give the tracks room to slide without interference from the carpet?

I've also seen quarters used on the door itself as a way of getting the door plungers to work better. If they aren't getting pushed in all the way, you can add some depth to the spot on the door frame with a quarter or two and then the plunger will push in farther. Adding a vacuum cap or similar piece of rubber on the end of the plunger worked better in my experience though.

How are the door plungers, Rich? Do your door lights work? What about the door buzzer or warning lights?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Wasn't there a trick where you could use a couple quarters under your seat to act as shims and raise the seat enough to give the tracks room to slide without interference from the carpet?
    These were just lying by the parking brake handle. I think they were put there intentionally: 1985 and 1965(<- maybe a stoner got 65 confused w/55.)

P1260181.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How are the door plungers, Rich? Do your door lights work? What about the door buzzer or warning lights?
    I don't yet know what door plungers are (are they the button-switch-things that the door hits when closed?)

The door lights work and the doors close nicely.

Is the door buzzer for when the key is on but door is open? If so, that works and the hazard lights also work (are warning lights = hazard lights?)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

If the car leaked water at any point, the PO may have placed it there to introduce an air pocket between the carpet and the fiberglass to help the carpet dry out quicker, and used a rubber piece that wouldn't absorb water???
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"