FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mystery Cold Start Problem-- Who can solve this mystery? Grab some pop corn..

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Man, what is it with these hoses this month?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Man, what is it with these hoses this month?
    Seriously, Jon. One thing that I've found with under 9k cars produced, 6000 or so left, and arguably 2k or so on the road and running is that there's ALWAYS someone else going through the same trouble out there in the DeLorean world! Unbelievable!

I've dealt with my accumulator (and hose) problem but I'll post it in that hose thread.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner. Thanks all for your help through all this , as this has been my most difficult Delorean diagnosis, and real pain.

Dave S was correct. Upon closer inspection of the accumulator hose, I initially did not notice any kinks, UNTIL i actually ran my fingers and felt the line for any distortions; not just visual inspection. As I stated before, I felt a noticable distortion to the touch.

So I took a razor blade and cut the bugger off. To my surprise, the hose was twisted and kinked to the point where it did not return to it's normal state, thus preventing ANY real fuel flow through the line . No WONDER I was getting just dribbles. Once I cut the kinked section and jumped the pump, fuel flowed to the the approx rate of 1 GPM.

I have a new hose on order and looking forward to get the car started again. Wish I hadn't spent so much time checking everything else, but learned a lot about the car and fuel system from this experience.

Check out the photos, hope this doesn't happen to you!

-Randy
    Attached Images
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachdrifter View Post
    Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner. Thanks all for your help through all this , as this has been my most difficult Delorean diagnosis, and real pain.

Dave S was correct. Upon closer inspection of the accumulator hose, I initially did not notice any kinks, UNTIL i actually ran my fingers and felt the line for any distortions; not just visual inspection. As I stated before, I felt a noticable distortion to the touch.

So I took a razor blade and cut the bugger off. To my surprise, the hose was twisted and kinked to the point where it did not return to it's normal state, thus preventing ANY real fuel flow through the line . No WONDER I was getting just dribbles. Once I cut the kinked section and jumped the pump, fuel flowed to the the approx rate of 1 GPM.

I have a new hose on order and looking forward to get the car started again. Wish I hadn't spent so much time checking everything else, but learned a lot about the car and fuel system from this experience.

Check out the photos, hope this doesn't happen to you!

-Randy
    ...Year of the Accumulator Hose.....
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Original hose? It doesn't look like mine.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Awesome! I guess the exterior of the hose doesn't always tell the full story.

I just replaced that same line on my car with an 18" section of 1/4" ID fuel injection hose from Pep Boys for about $5 and it works great. Just make sure you have enough line coming off that nipple up in the hard line of the car so there isn't a sharp bend when you get everything in place. That happened to me with a hose I ordered that was about 14" or so.

This makes me want to replace my original hose going from the top of the fuel filter to the distributor.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3