FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine donor?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Here is one owner's account of transplanting a 3.0 PRV: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...0L-engine-swap

If you search this forum you will find threads documenting Chevy LS swaps, a VW VR6 swap and others.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    DeLoreans need a larger pulley on the water pump to effectively circulate coolant through the longer path it takes to the radiator up front.
    A larger pulley would underdrive the water pump, though. I've read a few 3.0 builds but I don't recall seeing pulley size addressed. Is there a build thread or resource where this is discussed?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    A larger pulley would underdrive the water pump, though. I've read a few 3.0 builds but I don't recall seeing pulley size addressed. Is there a build thread or resource where this is discussed?
    You might be right. I remember reading about someone scoring an incredible deal on a crossover water pump (Volvo 760GLE?) except their car constantly ran on the hot side and it was deduced the pulley was not moving enough coolant quickly enough for the D's requirements. Now that you have brought it up I don't remember if the Volvo pulley was too big or too small just that it wasn't right.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    2245

I've been using a volvo pulley for the past 7 years with no heating problem. It was obvious I was going to need a spacer behind the pulley, so I had one made. The only problem is the pulley was made for 2 belts and the outermost lip will contact the A/C hose unless you move one of the A/C idler pulleys.
    Last edited by r00b; 06-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    I've been using a volvo pulley for the past 7 years with no heating problem. It was obvious I was going to need a spacer behind the pulley, so I had one made. The only problem is the pulley was made for 2 belts and the outermost lip will contact the A/C hose unless you move one of the A/C idler pulleys.
    Is your pulley a bolt-on or press-on? What Volvo did you source it from? I'm glad this thread is clearing up some misconceptions I have had
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Is your pulley a bolt-on or press-on? What Volvo did you source it from? I'm glad this thread is clearing up some misconceptions I have had
    It's a bolt on pulley for a volvo 265 2.8L V6.

My VIN:    10270

You might be right. I remember reading about someone scoring an incredible deal on a crossover water pump (Volvo 760GLE?) except their car constantly ran on the hot side and it was deduced the pulley was not moving enough coolant quickly enough for the D's requirements.
    The early Volvo PRVs have a different main pulley, featuring the double AC belt setup. Also weighs about twice as much as a DMC pulley! I wouldn't be surprised if there were a small variety of ratios out there. I've considered build a 3.0 and wondered if it was just one more thing I'd have to deal with
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    It's a bolt on pulley for a volvo 265 2.8L V6.

Very cool. I have heard the bolt on pulleys are hard to find and one of those parts definitely worth hanging onto if found. Never seen a Volvo 265 Stateside
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

The early Volvo PRVs have a different main pulley, featuring the double AC belt setup. Also weighs about twice as much as a DMC pulley! I wouldn't be surprised if there were a small variety of ratios out there. I've considered build a 3.0 and wondered if it was just one more thing I'd have to deal with
    Isn't there always "one" more thing to deal with?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Very cool. I have heard the bolt on pulleys are hard to find and one of those parts definitely worth hanging onto if found. Never seen a Volvo 265 Stateside
    Oh, the water pump was for a Volvo 265, I don't remember what model the volvo I pulled the pulley from.

Also weighs about twice as much as a DMC pulley!
    I don't if it's heavier or not, it's stamped steel. Also I just found my pulley I got off another PRV (peugeot, or renault). It's similar to the volvo one but takes one belt, I haven't tried it yet.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast