FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This stainless thing might be catching on

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This stainless thing might be catching on

We took a day off yesterday and hit Social Media Day at the Chicago Auto show (Thank you BMW Club).

We found this one pretty interesting - It's a Kia show car, and in addition to the oddly hinged doors and apparently metallic seat leather, the roof was stainless sheet grained and finished exactly as a DeLorean. It's a very dark car otherwise so excuse the quality of the iphone pics.

kiaSS (1) (1024x768).jpg

kiaSS (2) (1024x768).jpg

kiaSS (3) (1024x768).jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'll see your Kia and raise you a Rolls Royce from the preview night at the Portland Auto Show last Wednesday evening.

photo 2.jpg
    photo 1.jpg

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I'll see your Kia and raise you a Rolls Royce from the preview night at the Portland Auto Show last Wednesday evening.

photo 2.jpg
    photo 1.jpg

Cheers
    Steven
    I saw one of those in South Carolina last year when I happened to stay at the same hotel as a Rolls dealer convention.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I saw one of those in South Carolina last year when I happened to stay at the same hotel as a Rolls dealer convention.
    It's funny... a couple guys were admiring the Rolls and I leaned over and said, "You know some one else did that... 30 years ago..."

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    6125

It's definitely cool to see other auto makers experimenting with stainless. After hearing about the new F150 being aluminum I was expecting that to be the next big thing.

My VIN:    05141

The SS for the optional hood on the Rolls royces is made in Belgium at the Arcelor Mittal plant, across from the Ford factory (that will be closing dosn by the end of this year )
    A friend of mine is an engineer of Arcelor and he told me RR bought a Delorean years ago to perform a study on how to use SS body panels in automotive.

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    The SS for the optional hood on the Rolls royces is made in Belgium at the Arcelor Mittal plant, across from the Ford factory (that will be closing dosn by the end of this year )
    A friend of mine is an engineer of Arcelor and he told me RR bought a Delorean years ago to perform a study on how to use SS body panels in automotive.

Jan
    Just as in the fashion world, "What was old is NEW again"! As everyone becomes more and more environmentally conscious they will take short cuts and try to not paint the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    We took a day off yesterday and hit Social Media Day at the Chicago Auto show (Thank you BMW Club).

We found this one pretty interesting - It's a Kia show car, and in addition to the oddly hinged doors and apparently metallic seat leather, the roof was stainless sheet grained and finished exactly as a DeLorean. It's a very dark car otherwise so excuse the quality of the iphone pics.

kiaSS (1) (1024x768).jpg

kiaSS (2) (1024x768).jpg

kiaSS (3) (1024x768).jpg
    Neat prototype though - feels kind of like the Isuzu VehiCross (which like the DeLorean still holds up well after all these years).

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Neat prototype though - feels kind of like the Isuzu VehiCross (which like the DeLorean still holds up well after all these years).
    You know, it's funny. I love the VehiCross and have since it was a concept. But I just saw one in a parking lot the other day for the first time in years - they didn't hold up as well as you'd think Looks pretty dated now. And that plastic cladding everywhere faded really hard.

I'd still drive one.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    07000

I saw one recent that looked to be in great shape. Still a nice design and outdoes all other crossover SUV's, except maybe for the really nice $90k BMW. But the VehiCross has real character, something lacking in most production vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast