FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing and Your Delorean

My VIN:    03037

3D Printing and Your Delorean

Daily, I read about how 3D Printing has entered into areas from the medical parts to automotive parts. I thought it be appropriate, if not already, to be begin this thread on 3D printing. I was wondering if by any chance anyone out there has given it any thought about what we as a community could create with such an amazing piece of technology for our cars [DeLorean]? I understand these printers have a "magical box size limitation" and on what parts you could create... has anyone thought about what parts, if any, you could replicate or "mod" and or "bring to life" to enhance or introduce the DMC community? Granted, the 3D printers, at this time, is a pretty penny device and cost ($), but of course as we know - prices on most technology do come down in time and become, I guess, reasonable for us to buy. If you ever become an owner of such an amazing device, what would you create for your DeLorean??? Hopefully, this thread can be the source for them .CAD (or whatever format they come in~lol) files if it ever-comes to that point! Feel free to chime in...
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    3060

Wake me when they can print metal

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Wake me when they can print metal
    Kane... Kane.... KANE! WAKE UP!

The year is now (dun dun DUN) 2014. You have been sleeping for nearly an hour! I know - its hard to believe.

A lot has changed my friend - we can now print 3D metal objects. I thought you would like Stainless Steel - Yep. Can do.

The resulting alloys are not as nice as traditional methods - but it exists.

http://gpiprototype.com/services/dml...sintering.html

google sintering - enjoy.

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Binnacles? For under $200

Wouldn't that be nice, 3d printed Binnacles. I know there are reproduction binnacles overseas but $340 plus international shipping is just way too much for my wallet.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...light=Binnacle

Just food for thought...
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    has anyone thought about what parts, if any, you could replicate or "mod" and or "bring to life" to enhance or introduce the DMC community?
    I've created 3 parts using 3D printing. A 3rd brake light that sits between the license plate lights, a custom bezel for the switches in my custom center console, the SS DMC letters for the steering wheel center pad, and four connectors that connect the re-routed AC to the original AC vents note mounted in the knee pads. The SS lettering looks okay, but it doesn't look like plate stainless which has been grained, it does however have the right color.

In all cases I was creating parts that don't already exist. I did try to create a replacement holder for the market lights, but with the NOS version at $10 a pop it wasn't worth it.

The cost of 3D printing is in the trial and error process of getting the design right and getting the material choice right. If you had a proven 3D file and knew exactly what material to print with you captions have a part at a reasonable cost. Otherwise be ready to print 5-10 copies. I used a printing service rather than have my own printer - principally since I wanted to trial multiple materials.

Parts I have thought about are the escutcheon, the blank for the escutcheon on the passenger side. But since I don't need these I haven't done the 3d model
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    wooden digits

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I've created 3 parts using 3D printing. A 3rd brake light that sits between the license plate lights, a custom bezel for the switches in my custom center console, the SS DMC letters for the steering wheel center pad, and four connectors that connect the re-routed AC to the original AC vents note mounted in the knee pads. The SS lettering looks okay, but it doesn't look like plate stainless which has been grained, it does however have the right color.

In all cases I was creating parts that don't already exist. I did try to create a replacement holder for the market lights, but with the NOS version at $10 a pop it wasn't worth it.

The cost of 3D printing is in the trial and error process of getting the design right and getting the material choice right. If you had a proven 3D file and knew exactly what material to print with you captions have a part at a reasonable cost. Otherwise be ready to print 5-10 copies. I used a printing service rather than have my own printer - principally since I wanted to trial multiple materials.

Parts I have thought about are the escutcheon, the blank for the escutcheon on the passenger side. But since I don't need these I haven't done the 3d model
    3D printing is cool. I step closer to physical objects sending not using actual courier. Like if sender and receiver has 3d printer they could send to each other physical item virtually.
    Like teleporting stuff Metals being printed, plastic being printed. Soon everything else will be printed from pure air
    My Sci-Fi Saturday
    In real life I think biggest problem to replicate parts are measurements, unless if you don't have cool scanner that scans object internally and externally for your 3D printer.

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Dr. Jeff, can you post pics of the mods you have on our list?
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Dr. Jeff, can you post pics of the mods you have on our list?
    I can but it'll have to wait until March when I get home. I'm traveling in the Far East on business.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post

How does the substance used for printing hold up to extreme heat? Car interiors get pretty hot.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

We have a makerbot replicator printer arriving at work next week so I will let you know how it works.
    The detail they can print is impressive.
    They are accurate to 0.1mm.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast