FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing and Your Delorean

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    has anyone thought about what parts, if any, you could replicate or "mod" and or "bring to life" to enhance or introduce the DMC community?
    Would 3D printing technology allow you to create a replacement ignition or door key? I don't ask because I need one nor do we lack places to get them done with either the code or a good photo, it's more a question of could it be done by someone you don't want to have your key?

The newer cars out there with microchips in them seem to be safe, but if you could get a close enough photo to make your printed key accurate enough to be useable, it could open up a can of worms at some point. Cameras are getting really good at resolutions and it's not that far fetched to think of a tow truck driver or shop mechanic quickly getting an image of your key, making note of where you live, and then having his buddy come get your car when you're not home. Maybe a little "conspiracy theory" to some extent, but we seem to see many great new technologies get quickly used for the powers of evil and not good.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    How does the substance used for printing hold up to extreme heat? Car interiors get pretty hot.
    The AC vent connectors were the thinnest plastic I used at 1mm. I selected a material for its stiffness. They've been in the car over a year and zero signs of deformation. I was very surprised how strong the material was, but they do have a sandpaper like texture , not the smooth plastic texture that you might be used to with molded plastic. For my rear brake light unit I painted it to give it the smooth black look. It took a few coats as it soaked up the paint, but it did work.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    03037

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    The AC vent connectors were the thinnest plastic I used at 1mm. I selected a material for its stiffness. They've been in the car over a year and zero signs of deformation. I was very surprised how strong the material was, but they do have a sandpaper like texture , not the smooth plastic texture that you might be used to with molded plastic. For my rear brake light unit I painted it to give it the smooth black look. It took a few coats as it soaked up the paint, but it did work.
    DrJeff, If you don't mind me asking, what brand 3d printer you using?
    Last edited by skill; 02-15-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    966

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have access to multiple 3D printers & knock something out every so often, and my partner-in-crime used to work at a 3D printing company. I still haven't been able to think of any situation where I wanted to 3D print something for my DeLorean, but I'd jump at it if I had a need! When it comes to the final part quality/strength, there's the printing done by home printers, the printing done by professional services, and then there's the printing done by ultra-high-end companies entirely in-house on custom machines which they don't share to maintain their competitive advantage.

At the ultra-high-end, literally anything is possible with today's technology (especially in a combined additive/subtractive machine, like this multi-axis laser sintering/CNC routing combo). Material, surface finish, strength properties, you name it - you can entirely replicate anything you so desire. Making a key would be absolutely no problem, but for something like that it's a much better idea to just grab a key blank & cut it to match the photo you took. As an example of something that's financially viable, SpaceX are 3D printing parts for their rocket engines out of pure Titanium & Inconel, because they found 3D printing those complex curves was cheaper, quicker & had a higher end quality than traditional manufacturing techniques. They can literally create an entire rocket from raw materials in a matter of weeks. Just don't expect to get a hold of this kind of technology soon.. not without coughing up 6-7 digits of money and/or hiring a team of engineers to build a custom machine for you!

Mid-end is companies that purchased decent ($20k) machines then print the parts for you. Shapeways is one such example. You can get all sorts of materials from plastics, rubber-like compounds, metals, acrylics, ceramics, glasses and transparent resins. These are fantastic because you get perfect quality every time & have such a wide selection of materials at such high quality, but kinda pricey. They've gotta make money somehow.

Low-end is the home-based machines like a Makerbot or RepRap. You're on your own to constantly maintain, repair & calibrate these machines. Accuracy isn't anywhere near as good as Shapeways, but you can get <0.1mm of accuracy if you keep everything in perfect running order. If you're using ABS or PLA you can smooth out the surface chemically, to a completely polished glossy surface look if you wanted. One advantage to being physically in front of the printer is that you get to have the print the moment it's finished (or you can even spot an error half-way through printing to cancel & modify your job), but the biggest advantage is the cost. Depending on the size of your object, filament will cost you $1-$2 per print. At that price you can go nuts, printing ALL the things!

PLA has a glass transition temperature around 60'C, which will easily be exceeded inside a hot car... It's biodegradable and won't do so well if you were using it outside on a car either. I wouldn't recommend PLA for anything on our cars, unless it's a temporary thing designed to last a few years at most (or you don't mind replacing it every few years). Standard ABS degrades under UV light, but you can buy UV-stabilised filament (or you can just paint your finished product). That'd be my personal recommendation for car-related prints.
    -Mike, Professional Geek, owner of VIN966

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

How much would a 3d printed binnacle cost to make?
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    07000

If you sent a model to shapeways.com probably $500 or so. You can get started on a model by using the 123D catch app which then gets you a 3d object file, then you can edit it, and use one of Autodesk's services (there are a few including shapeways).

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

I've got a Ecksbot RepRap, and I've made a few parts for my car. Most recently, a St. Patricks Day front emblem

1507932_10152222792457489_1878794764_n.jpg

I've also done a replacement "thumb pad" for the power mirror switch (mine was missing), and a cell phone holder that replaces the ash tray.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    3937

Nice job on the DeLorean license "platers" Devon! Perfect fit!

(...and this plate is much more appropriate for me on the DeLorean.)

photo 3.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    How much would a 3d printed binnacle cost to make?
    +1

I think this is the one thing everyone could benefit from.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

3D printing wish list

- license plate surround
    - headlight buckets
    - radio bracket
    - rub strips
    ... plus loads of stuff that would be custom to my car only.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast