FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know this car? Thoughts on this?

My VIN:    not yet available

Anyone know this car? Thoughts on this?

https://www.carsforsale.com/used_car...12_186175957_6

Does anyone know this car in New Hampshire? Can you guys help a newb out and give me some advice on this one? Can't see the chassis. I'm not sure what all need to look at.

Thanks

My VIN:    16882.

I highly recount that you purchase 'The Illustrated Buyers Guide to DeLorean Automobiles' by James Espey from DMCH. Also, when going to look at a DeLorean, try to find a current owner to go with you to help you evaluate the car. I did both these things - I would have been at a total loss without either one. Good luck!

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

A great looking gray auto version.
    I'd ask for some frame photos specifically the front end and behind the rear wheels
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yes + 1 on the Buyers Guide.

Frame rust is the number one issue to look out for. If it's just surface rust it can be sorted out usually. Anything worse, WALK AWAY!!

My VIN:    3937

Thoughts?

- A general nervousness or need for caution when dealing with these types of dealers/brokers.

- This car in particular... a better view of the instrument cluster to indicate whether the fuel gauge needle is pointing straight up. Also, investigate why the battery cover is on the parcel shelf in one of the photos. If the battery needed jumping, find out why.

- As others mentioned, get photos of the frame and look for rust on it as well as many of the other brackets and fittings. If it's rusty in one or two places, it'll be rusty in many more.

- If you are there in person, take a D owner with you. If you don't have one of those available to you, at the very least get in the car, drive it, don't let Joe Salesman rush you and try every possible switch, button and feature and determine if they are working as designed. If they aren't, make a list and that'll help you determine how much under the list price you would be willing to pay. Specifically with the automatics, get it out at highway speeds to ensure it's shift computer is working properly. If you are driving easy, you should be comfortably in 3rd by the time you're doing 35 mph. If it's revving the daylights out of itself while puttering around town, you'll need to add a shift computer rebuild to your price list.

- Be patient and don't buy the car on emotion. Sleep on it and if it isn't there for you tomorrow, it wasn't meant to be yours. And have fun!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for the tips.. I wont be able to look at that car or any that are not local. Which ever one I go with, I'll have to rely on pictures and videos. I do not know anyone with a Delorean that is local to me, in Huntington, WV. I really don't want a problem car as I am not really all that mechanically inclined. Whatever car I go with, it will have to be ready to go with no issues as I wont be able to do any major repairs.

I may skip this one, I'll have to think about it for a few days.

Thanks again!..

-Jim

baldwinsusa
    Jim, you will have to expect repairs after you own, even if it's a refurb. I'm getting another D when I return to the states and have already found a maintenance shop with a guy who used to work at Russell BMW-DeLorean in 1981. Anyway, best to have realistic expectations on these cars.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

My VIN:    3299

DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Didn't see any rules being broke.

He posted on the Want to Buy section as he wanted to buy this vehicle.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Didn't see any rules being broke.

He posted on the Want to Buy section as he wanted to buy this vehicle.

LEVY
    +1

Thank you Levy. i am strongly considering this but needed some advice. That's alot of money to throw at something, sight unseen and not knowing a whole lot about the cars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast