FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DMC, BTTF and Pinball!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It just seems like if the glass would drop another 1/2" the display would be centered, the upper lock would engage properly, and it would be easier to remove the glass - right now I have to play around with it to get the bottom out, there is like no clearance to get it out. When this first happened, the clasp on the lock was hitting the glass, that's why I reversed it, so it would clear the top.

Remove and replace the speaker panel. Once installed it should drop down a little, enough to make everything fit. Even when it all fits together the display does not line up exactly right behind the backglass. You should not have had to mess with the latch though.
    David Teitelbaum

My BTTF is the same on the display and Backglass has trouble fitting as well. What I've discovered is that when I turn the key if I put a small screwdriver up inside and push up on the key lock it will slip over the top of the translite and I can lock it. Here's my thoughts on it.

I have a Rotendog display and not the original so it may be that the mounting is not perfect. Mine is off less than a 1/4 inch and you can see everything okay (just not perfect) so I'm kinda okay with that. As for the glass and speaker box set up... tight is a good thing (heh... yeah I just said that). Since I move my machines periodically (shows, home, arcade, etc.) and have to 'fold down the back box' it helps prevent the two pieces from opening up during transit. So I am kinda okay with that too.

Notice I said 'kinda' both times. I have already fought with it for a little while. Got ALL the dirt and grime and pieces of wire/insulation from under the speaker box, cleaned the channel where the the backglass sits and made sure the lock is screwed in tight. I think I convinced myself that it is okay and perhaps good that it fits like it does.

I think for the final resolution of the backglass lock I will put a small washer between the lock arm the cylinder to give me the 1/16th of an inch I need.

Oh.. btw... Paul Farris will be at the Texas Pinball Festival this year (at least he is planning on it) so I am going to do my best to have him sign my backglass. If he happens to bring his son I'll have him sign it as well. My Xenon too.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree with Dave T. If your back glass isn't dropping down into place, you need to adjust the speaker panel. You should NOT have to force the glass downward. I would certainly not risk trying to turn the lock if there is any resistance against the glass. This is a printed glass back glass; not a plastic sheet back glass like modern games. No way would I risk cracking or chipping it.

There are several screws that hold the speaker panel in place. Event the speaker panel has to fit down in the slot in the back box. Just loosen the screws and move the panel forward and backward. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot where everything lines up. They left the factory locked and fitting together. If it's not now, it's misaligned now it's just from moving or handling.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Remove and replace the speaker panel. Once installed it should drop down a little, enough to make everything fit. Even when it all fits together the display does not line up exactly right behind the backglass. You should not have had to mess with the latch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I agree with Dave T. If your back glass isn't dropping down into place, you need to adjust the speaker panel. You should NOT have to force the glass downward. I would certainly not risk trying to turn the lock if there is any resistance against the glass. This is a printed glass back glass; not a plastic sheet back glass like modern games. No way would I risk cracking or chipping it.

There are several screws that hold the speaker panel in place. Event the speaker panel has to fit down in the slot in the back box. Just loosen the screws and move the panel forward and backward. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot where everything lines up. They left the factory locked and fitting together. If it's not now, it's misaligned now it's just from moving or handling.
    Just did that with no difference in how the glass fits. It appears the speaker panel is as far down as it will go. It is fitting in the grove in the bottom of the upper cabinet. The gap between the bottom of the speaker panel and cabinet is tight, I can only fit a piece of paper in it. A couple more pictures below in case there seems to be anything obvious I'm missing. But oh yeah, as soon as I started having a problem with it I backed off - I was really afraid of damaging the glass.

IMG_20140225_212744_922.jpg
    I see the grove where the speaker box fits, don't seen any problems there.

IMG_20140225_212936_048.jpg
    There is a gap where that L piece is, but the bottom of the speaker box is tight. And this is the only screw I found keeping the speaker box in place.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    Just did that with no difference in how the glass fits. It appears the speaker panel is as far down as it will go. It is fitting in the grove in the bottom of the upper cabinet. The gap between the bottom of the speaker panel and cabinet is tight, I can only fit a piece of paper in it. A couple more pictures below in case there seems to be anything obvious I'm missing. But oh yeah, as soon as I started having a problem with it I backed off - I was really afraid of damaging the glass.

IMG_20140225_212744_922.jpg
    I see the grove where the speaker box fits, don't seen any problems there.

IMG_20140225_212936_048.jpg
    There is a gap where that L piece is, but the bottom of the speaker box is tight. And this is the only screw I found keeping the speaker box in place.
    It may be that someone replaced the lock for the backglass and the latch was never right. If the speaker panel and the backglass is where it should be then you must adjust the latch on the lock. Do not make it too tight, it should not rub on the glass, ie, the glass should be able to move maybe 1/16" up and down after you lock the lock. The display never lined up exactly behind the backglass anyway so do not try to. Be REALLY careful with that display. They are hard to get and expensive and they are fragile. If the speaker panel is held in place with those screws it is probably where it should be or you would not be able to get those screws in. It could also be someone replaced the plastic strips on the backglass and they are slightly bigger. In any case you probably need to adjust the latch now. Be careful with that backglass too. They are also hard to get and if you can find one they are worth over $300.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks David. That's exactly what I did, adjust the latch. I also got a thick piece of double sided foam tape and use it as a spacer between the top of the glass and latch, this way it doesn't move as much. I can live with that because you still need to unlock it to get the glass out. Didn't want to mess with the glass too much because I know how valuable that piece is. The top plastic strip on the glass is deformed a little, looks like someone got it caught on the latch at some point, so maybe there is some truth to your theory. I was more concerned that something shifted in the overall frame of the machine that caused this misalignment but I don't see anything.

Not the best photo.. but this is from the Texas Pinball Festival where I had Della and my BTTF game setup. Along with 400+ other pinball machines. The Game Preserve brought out 12 games including my BTTF. It was fun to watch the camera phones come out when people saw the car on the floor with all the games.

While I was there I had the artist that did the BTTF game (Paul Faris) sign my back glass. Good times.

TPF-2014.jpg

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I love Revenge from Mars. I know DeLorean03 is considering one

It happened.

Here is the current pin setup:

And here is the rest of the gameroom:

March17th.jpg

I did install the video amp in RFM, and man, does that make a WORLD of difference. LEDs in all 3 machines. Flipper button protectors on all 3 as well.

Someday, I'll get a 4th one - someday....
    Attached Images
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5