Club(s):   (DOI)

Rotors : Left and right

Product Number: 160-7097-BK Price: $147.90
    Product Number: 160-7098-BK Price: $147.90

Caliper; 2 needed

Product Number: 120-12160 Price: $149.93

Pads

Product Number: 150-11363K Price: $64.43

This is off Wilwood's website. These are the parts that I have utilized in my kit.
    I can offer a complete package or you can purchase these separately from a place like Summit or Jegs, if you prefer, and I can supply the rest which
    would include the modified hats, caliper brackets, braided brake lines, (choice of silver or black), caliper fittings, metric adapters for the stock steel ends and all the hardware needed.

My VIN:    3299

Eddie and I are looking to install this on my car now that the VR6 engine is nearly complete. I hate to ask you to do the legwork, but if you can gather up EVERYTHING we need to be able to install this brake system on the front and ONLY the front of the car, we would be very appreciative, and I'd be ready to buy it.

We know upgrading the engine and putting down 250+ HP at the wheels is going to require a serious brake upgrade, so we're not "feeling this out"; I am ready to buy this kind of equipment. You can PM me if you like regarding this. Thank you!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    16797

I have done all the legwork.

That is why I have listed the parts above.
    I am not posting this to try and sell a whole bunch of kits for profit. That is why I stated you can buy from Wilwood, Jegs, Summit, etc.
    I'm just trying to help out fellow owners that might be intersested in having a better braking system on their car.
    The parts that I can offer need to be machined/ fabricated to complete.

So far, I have 7 guys that are serious about doing this upgrade.

My machinist wants to know how many hat mods/ brackets he has to do in order to give me an exact price.

Please let me know

My VIN:    3299

You got one serious person ready to go from me.

We're upgrading the front brakes, so whatever your machinist needs to fabricate - put me down for an pair of everything he needs to make.
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 02-20-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Easy now, have your actually got this set up installed and running on your car? If so, how long for and what has been your experience?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I'd like to see a back-to-back comparison with refurbished original callipers. Those new Willwood's don't look large enough to give a significant increase in pot area?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    I'd like to see a back-to-back comparison with refurbished original callipers. Those new Willwood's don't look large enough to give a significant increase in pot area?
    I'm concerned about upgrading only one end of the car. If you don't get all the volumes etc. correct it may tend to upset the balance. This car has a somewhat unusual brake balance to start with due to the rear engine and larger tires in the rear.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I hope to have an exact price from my machinist next week.

I finally have a chance to reply to the valid questions asked.

First off vented rotors will offer a huge advantage over solid rotors.

Second, Pascal was a wise man.

If a U-tube is filled with water and pistons are placed at each end, pressure exerted against the left piston will be transmitted throughout the liquid and against the bottom of the right piston. (The pistons are simply "plugs" that can slide freely but snugly inside the tube.) The pressure that the left piston exerts against the water will be exactly equal to the pressure the water exerts against the right piston. Suppose the tube on the right side is made wider and a piston of a larger area is used; for example, the piston on the right has 50 times the area of the piston on the left. If a 1 N load is placed on the left piston, an additional pressure (nearly 1 N/cm2) due to the weight of the load is transmitted throughout the liquid and up against the larger piston. The difference between force and pressure is important: the additional pressure is exerted against every square centimeter of the larger piston. Since there is 50 times the area, 50 times as much force is exerted on the larger piston. Thus, the larger piston will support a 50 N load - fifty times the load on the smaller piston.

Forces can be multiplied using such a device. One newton input produces 50 newtons output. By further increasing the area of the larger piston (or reducing the area of the smaller piston), forces can be multiplied, in principle, by any amount. Pascal's principle underlies the operation of the hydraulic press. The hydraulic press does not violate energy conservation, because a decrease in distance moved compensates for the increase in force. When the small piston is moved downward 10 centimeters, the large piston will be raised only one-fiftieth of this, or 0.2 centimeters. The input force multiplied by the distance moved by the smaller piston is equal to the output force multiplied by the distance moved by the larger piston; this is one more example of a simple machine operating on the same principle as a mechanical lever.

Pascal's principle applies to all fluids, whether gases or liquids. A typical application of Pascal's principle for gases and liquids is the automobile lift seen in many service stations (the hydraulic jack). Increased air pressure produced by an air compressor is transmitted through the air to the surface of oil in an underground reservoir. The oil, in turn, transmits the pressure to a piston, which lifts the automobile. The relatively low pressure that exerts the lifting force against the piston is about the same as the air pressure in automobile tires. Hydraulics is employed by modern devices ranging from very small to enormous. For example, there are hydraulic pistons in almost all construction machines where heavy loads are involved.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast