FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Front brake ugrade kit

My VIN:    16797

Club(s):   (DOI)

I NEED TO STATE THIS AGAIN<<<<<<<<<<<< I am not on here trying to sell you guys my brake system or debate the fundamentals of how brakes work.

For the stock Delorean, the stock brakes are adequate, not good!, but adequate. For those of us who have increased the hp, better brakes are a must!
    I have chosen to do this, and just trying to help out,,,, that's all.
    I am also designing a rear system as well. There is a thing called an adjustable proportioning valve that can tailor any brake system to suit your needs.

Thanks for looking guys.

p.s. the stock brakes are 70's technology and very pricey for what they are.

Calm down.

You are stating that your new setup is an improvement, yet unless you've increased the pot area, it isn't - period. Please inform us the diameter of each of your 4 pots versus the diameter of each of the two originals?

A proprtioning valve deliberately puts a restriction into the system to account for an imbalance rather than properly redesigning the system.

Quote Originally Posted by easy now View Post

First off vented rotors will offer a huge advantage over solid rotors.
    Only in terms of their ability to dissipate heat. You do not get any improvement in braking effort or control.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

What is the pot area? Is that the area of the piston?????
    Again,,,,, didn't want to have a debate, just don't understand your lingo.

And, if all you want to do is debate, that is fine too.
    When I have time, I will educate you.

Is the phrase "4 pot callipers" not used in North America? Apologies, I'd assumed it was pretty universal. Yes, pot = piston.

I had the diameters of both the DeLorean pistons somewhere but can't for the life of me find it. It may have been in the DMCTalk archive. I think it was Cineman who provided them.

You don't need to be on the defensive, you certainly don't need to "educate" me. please just confirm the diameter of the pistons in your callipers versus the diameter of the pistons on the original callipers.

Edit: Found them

Front 54mm (2290mm^2 per calliper per side)
    Rear 48mm (1809mm^2 per calliper per side)

The 4-pots from HiSpec that I use have 38.6mm pistons, giving an area of 2340mm^2 per calliper per side. Fractionally more on the front, roughly 30% more on the rear. My kit then uses 265mm discs front and 285mm rear and I supply it with a 50/50 master cylinder.

Edit again:

According to the info on Summit, the piston diameter of your Willwood calliper is 1.12" (=28.45mm) for a total of 1271mm^2 per calliper per side.

That is a long way short of the pot area (and therefore force) provided by the original callipers.
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 02-22-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Pascal's law obviously wasn't a good read for you. I can't understand why F1 cars 8 piston calipers,

Pascal's law obviously wasn't a good read for you.

I can't understand why F1 cars have 8 piston calipers, must be so don't have as much force.

And I guess that goes for Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, or any of the car manufacturers.

Again, I said I didn't want to start a debate, please do some more homework. Pot size is the smallest equazion in a brake system.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Easy Now (I'd love to call you by name - I'm Tom)

I understand you point about vented rotors - by dissapating more heat there would be less fade as the brakes overheat. That's noteworthy if you are racing and constantly on the brakes and off, but less critical for day to day driving. Depends on how you will be driving the car.

I've read the Pascals law thing before, both here and on the original Wikipedia post. Its all about the application, as you know.

Martin's math looks right though, it sure looks like the new setup would have less braking power than more - so something is missing from the equation I guess. Where is his math different from yours? Are you running twice the number of pistons he is giving you credit for?

Sometimes folks on the forums can get upset over things like which subwoofer sounds better - this is not one of those debates. Brakes are life and death - serious stuff.

The vendors are not in a position to offer a brake upgrade without not just the development, but a lot of real world testing too. Its not clear if you are running on these brakes or not yet, but it sounds like some are ready to hop onto your initial development and pop them into cars that are about to go. If you are still in development someone could leapfrog past you, bolt everything together without all of the understanding and thought you have put into this.

Nobody is saying your wrong, but both your wikipedia quote and Martins comments are both right. I think the goal here is to make sure everyone is on the same page is all.

Brakes are life and death. You know that or you wouldn't have started this project.

Tom
    Last edited by TTait; 02-22-2014 at 05:32 PM.

For the concerned people talking about life and death, you can not be on a Delorean website talking about brakes. If you are, then, you have way bigger issues.

I am done with this website.

Pretty sad that I just wanted to help fellow owners out.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Wow.

Having been put in my place, I will now go seek therapy for being polite. I was hoping you were actually on to something, rather than just saying your math is wrong.

Please be careful on your test drive, you may find that you need to brake harder and then the rears lock up on you. Try a dry straight road with no innocent people around. Maybe take the left fender off the car before you try it - they are in short supply.

Tom

My VIN:    6679

Chris

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast