FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Fran to Monterey PCH Drive

My VIN:    05457

San Fran to Monterey PCH Drive

I’m planning a drive to San Francisco and Monterey for the weekend of March 29th & 30th. It would be be a blast to have other NorCal owners join in on the fun. This is intended to be a leisurely drive, so although I have times listed as guidelines we likely won’t track to them perfectly. If there is something you’d like to see added/removed, post it here and let’s update the itinerary together. I want this to be something we can all enjoy. Also, if the date isn't good for most who are interested (majority rules), we can figure out an alternate date.

Be sure to bring your FRS radio so we can talk between cars. I have an extra I can loan out.

I understand San Fran may not be very exciting for some of you, but those of us in the Sacramento area don’t get our cars out there very often.

Day 1 - Saturday
    1. 9:00 a.m. - Meet up in Concord - Depending on where everyone is coming from, we may want to meet elsewhere
    2. 9:15 a.m. - Depart from Concord
    3. Drive into the city from the north, across the Golden Gate bridge.

4. 11:45 a.m. - Arrive at Twin Peaks - You have likely seen this famous curvey road in car commercials such as this one for BMW or this one for Lexus
    5. 1:00 p.m. - Late lunch in Half Moon Bay - currently thinking Miramar since it has a coastal view, with a backup location of Mezza Luna
    6. 4:30 p.m. - Arrive in Monterey via HWY 1, stop at vistas as we see fit. Park near cannery row and find a place for dinner.
    7. Stay the night in Monterey/Pacific Grove. I am currently looking at the Rosedale Inn in Pacific Grove. They have off street parking and the rooms like very nice. Cost as of today is $160 per night. While it would be fun to stay together, feel free to stay where ever you’d like. We’ll meet up again in the morning.

Day 2 - Sunday

1. Wake up, eat breakfast at your hotel
    2. 10:00 a.m. Meet at someplace central to where everyone is staying, perhaps a grocery store parking lot.
    3. 10:30 a.m. 17 Mile Drive (entrance fee: ~$10)
      Enter via the Pacific Grove Entrance or HWY 1 Entrance depending on where we meet in the morning.
    4. 1:00 p.m. - Lunch at Mundo’s Cafe before heading out of town. This is a low key sandwhich shop.
    5. Drive Home (any suggestions on a different route back?)

Approximate Route

If you want to participate, please post here to let me know!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

do you have a map of the proposed route through San Francisco?

My plan was to take the most direct route, but that may not be the route with the lowest grade slope. The link I provided provides topographical information as well, if you see another route that looks better, we can go another way. I'm not very familiar with San Francisco streets and I know those with lowered suspensions will have a more difficult time than I will.

Capture.jpg
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    My plan was to take the most direct route, but that may not be the route with the lowest grade slope. The link I provided provides topographical information as well, if you see another route that looks better, we can go another way. I'm not very familiar with San Francisco streets and I know those with lowered suspensions will have a more difficult time than I will.

Capture.jpg
    You could take Lincoln Blvd, the route through the Presideo. Right on Geary, that takes you past the Cliff House. Down the Great hwy. That takes you right along the coast. Past the Olympic club (Host of the U.S. open golf) Then to Hwy 1 south.
    Last edited by dmc3130; 02-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.

That certainly would be the more scenic route, it would cut out Twin Peaks though. I was hoping to hit Twin Peaks. But that route does look nice. I'm more concerned with making sure we have a great drive than hitting every stop. I'm up for what the group going wants to do.
    David Proehl

You want to go from the meet in concord to San Raphael then down through SF?

That is what I mapped out, but we wouldn't have to. The other option would be crossing via the bay bridge and then driving north across the Golden Gate, and then coming back south. The difference in the routes is about 14 miles, with the bay bridge option being shorter. The only reason I chose the route I did was because we wouldn't double back, but if there is interest in driving the bay bridge that works for me. It would also mean more driving on city hills if you are cool with that.
    David Proehl

For any concerned about bottoming out in the city, per Rich's post on the yahoo group thread, he has taken his car throughout the city and hasn't had any issues with his Eibach setup.
    David Proehl

My car is one of the lowest in the club if not the most and the two times ive been to SF I had no bottoming out issues either

How about Lombard street? I bet that would scare Jon though, but it would make a sweet photo of a munch of D's going down it with the doors up.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    My car is one of the lowest in the club if not the most and the two times ive been to SF I had no bottoming out issues either

How about Lombard street? I bet that would scare Jon though, but it would make a sweet photo of a munch of D's going down it with the doors up.
    +1 on Lombard Street. I want a copy of that Photo!!!
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast