FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Fran to Monterey PCH Drive

My VIN:    05457

Lombard would certainly be awesome. Like Jon I get a little paranoid about turning radius, but I doubt we'd cut it too close. Just watch the fire hydrants, as they can sneak up on you. We would definitely want to have someone running alongside out of the cars to take the picture.

David Proehl

Update

Thus far I have confirmations for 3 cars including myself:
    • Rich & Kathy
    • Bill +1
    • Me

Also, per feedback, I have updated the itinerary. This is still subject to change, but is in a much more developed state.

All letters in parentheses correspond to Google map locations.
    Google Maps Detailed Route

Day 1 - Saturday

1. (A) 9:00 a.m. - Meet up in Concord at Walmart parking lot right off Hwy 4.
    2. 9:15 a.m. - Depart from Concord
    3. Drive into the city from the north, across the Golden Gate bridge.
      -(B) 10:15 a.m. - Arrive at Marin Headlands (this view)
      -(C) 11:00 a.m. - Moore Rd (photoshoped pic from earlier visit)
      -Optional 3rd stop based on time - Fort Point (other gull wings there)
      -We will have to pay a toll for the Bridge. You can no longer do this with cash, without FastTrack you must pay online either in advance or 48 hours afterwards to avoid fines.
    4. (D) 11:45 a.m. - Drive down Lombard
      -Due to there being 3 roads feeding into Lombard we will not plan on going as a group. This would require disobeying traffic laws and not represent DeLorean owners favorably for other motorists. Perhaps on another drive when we can arrive during a low traffic time of day we will do this as a group.
    5. (E) 12:00 a.m. - Arrive at Twin Peaks
      -You’ve likely seen this famous curvey road in car commercials such as this one for BMW or this one for Lexus
    6. (F) 1:15 p.m. - Late lunch in Half Moon Bay - currently thinking Miramar since it has a coastal view, with a backup location of Mezza Luna
    7. (G) 4:45 p.m. - Arrive in Monterey via HWY 1, stop at vistas as we see fit. Park near cannery row and find a place for dinner.
    8. Stay the night in Monterey/Pacific Grove. I am currently looking at the Rosedale Inn in Pacific Grove. They have off street parking and the rooms like very nice. Cost as of today is $166 per night. While it would be fun to stay together, feel free to stay where ever you’d like. We’ll meet up again in the morning.

Day 2 - Sunday

1. Wake up, eat breakfast at your hotel
    2. (H) 9:00 a.m. Meet at someplace central to where everyone is staying, perhaps a strip mall store parking lot.
    3. (I) 9:30 a.m. - Hiking at Point Lobos State Park (parking lot $10)
      -If the parking lot is full we may need to skip this unless we want to park on the road, not sure I’m up for that
      -We will go for a brief hike
      -Possible photo op near the water
    4. (J) 1:00 p.m. - Lunch at Bruno’s Market & Deli. This is a low key sandwhich shop.
    5. (K) 2 p.m. 17 Mile Drive (cost: ~$10)
      -Enter via the HWY 1 Entrance
    6. Drive Home (any suggestions on a different route back?)
    David Proehl

I have now booked my hotel. Price went up above $200 the original one I listed, so I'm now at the Lighthouse Lodge Cottages. Off street parking and very nice rooms. Got a King size bed for $155 after fees and taxes, but had to book through hotels.com in order to book a single night. The hotel's website required a 3 night booking.

If you have not booked a hotel, book now, prices seem to be climbing from what I've seen.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Can you give a revised map of how we get to and cross the golden gate?

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Can you give a revised map of how we get to and cross the golden gate?
    No special route, just what was on the linked route. I'm open to suggestions if there is a more interesting route. Here is the screenshot.

Capture.jpg
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1768

Ok that works because your linked route went across the Bay Bridge. Ive not been across the new one yet but I'd rather go over the golden gate

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    No special route, just what was on the linked route. I'm open to suggestions if there is a more interesting route. Here is the screenshot.

Capture.jpg
    You could also go down to hwy 24 and then through the new tunnel. Then back up to Berkley and over the 580 San Rafael Bridge as planned. I'm not sure if I will be able to make this drive. Maybe just to San Fran and come home the same day.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

The new Bay Bridge is really a marvel... so great to drive across, and SO much better than the old one. What a piece of junk that was. But the Golden Gate is the real icon!

Make sure you have your FasTrak paid up and ready for those tolls!

Really sad I can't make this one.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by dmc3130 View Post
    You could also go down to hwy 24 and then through the new tunnel. Then back up to Berkley and over the 580 San Rafael Bridge as planned. I'm not sure if I will be able to make this drive. Maybe just to San Fran and come home the same day.
    Any part of the day you can make would be awesome. The reason I didn't head through the tunnel on 24 was because I wanted to avoid doubling back as much as possible, and having to pay the toll going into the city twice (Bay Bridge & Golden Gate). If you are confirmed coming we can talk further with other confirmed drivers to see what the preference is.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    The new Bay Bridge is really a marvel... so great to drive across, and SO much better than the old one. What a piece of junk that was. But the Golden Gate is the real icon!

Make sure you have your FasTrak paid up and ready for those tolls!

Really sad I can't make this one.
    You can also Pay-By-Plate in advance, that is what I plan to do. I don't go into the city enough to justify a FasTrak.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    11280

This looks like a neat drive - enjoy! I saw a few pics from FB already. Obviously I couldn't go - partly because I ripped the car apart again... but that's for another thread!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast