FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Blower Motor Upgrades?

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

So I'm going to throw some thoughts into the conversation and hope it doesn't feel like redirecting this thread.

What is the benefit that the OP (and subsequently others) is trying to accomplish?
    - More air flow?
    - Quieter air flow?
    - Different airflow adjustment curve?
    - Improved comfort?

I propose that comfort (thermal and auditory) should be the goal. BTW ... I'd prefer a different airflow curve. It would be nice to have something between 1 & 2. 2 is a bit much and also a bit noisy

If improved comfort is the desirable outcome, there may be another option. Backstory: I had an Astro and learned quickly that AC worked fine but the temperature in the car would stratify and I was uncomfortable. Air from shoulder'ish up would be warmer than the lower part. The front vents didn't stir up the air in the upper zone. My Tahoe has a similar problem. The Astro had rear AC mounted on the ceiling and you could direct the airflow forward horizontally along the ceiling. When the rear fans circulated the ceiling air it substantially improved the comfort. Very little airflow was needed. When your upper body is warm, it seems to bother you more.

The DeLorean behaves similar. The vents are not good at directing air such that it stirs the upper zone air sufficient to keep your upper body comfortable. Do we run the fans high in order to disturb the upper air? I've pondered adding small 12Vdc laptop fans such that they circulate/disturb the upper air. The question is where to put the fan/vents so that you don't alter the original design ... noticeably alter. Something in the parcel shelf might work. Maybe a small 12Vdc laptop fan behind each seat at the top of the trim, bottom of the rear window. Maybe something removable mounted to the ceiling at the rear. A nice printed box could improve the appearance as well.

Here is a fan example: 12Vdc fan .jpg

There are caged 12Vdc fans that you plug into the lighter... but i don't like the look.

If additional fans for upper air movement has traction, then maybe this should be spun off as a separate thread.
    Last edited by nkemp; 07-26-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

I've thought about putting a computer fan near the fuses box to help keep that area cooler. But not sure how a laptop fan would be useful in the cabin.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    But not sure how a laptop fan would be useful in the cabin.
    Just to circulate the upper air and keep it from stratifying.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Just to circulate the upper air and keep it from stratifying.
    The position of the return air duct, under the dash, is supposed to prevent the stratification. As in most cooling systems the cold air is directed towards the top of the cabin at the hottest air and the return duct is low to pull in the air from the lower area to improve circulation. You may notice some stratification when you first start up the system but it should get better the longer you run the A/C.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4