You're famous even on French website
    http://www.vipad.fr/post/ipad-delorean

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    You're famous even on French website
    http://www.vipad.fr/post/ipad-delorean
    Wow, thanks for that. I see it hit CNET today too!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...pad-interface/
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    The comments (both positive and negative) are all pretty funny.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3937

Very nice Patrick! You did a great job with your car. The changes all came out looking very professional.

Two questions:

1. Does that sort of iPad set-up use a cellular signal for the data to Google Maps? My tablet is WiFi only and I'm assuming this one you have is basically giving you the functionality or connectivity of the iPhone with a bigger screen? I have a golf course yardage app on my iPhone which only uses GPS and not data (same for a speedometer app) so was wondering if there was a Google GPS equivalent that didn't need an Internet connection.

2. Any secrets you can share on adjusting your doors? I'm in that camp of owners that don't have the greatest closing alignment and have somewhat given up for the time being as I'm not sure what to fine tune next. Any general suggestions or tricks you found worked the best?

Thanks!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Very nice Patrick! You did a great job with your car. The changes all came out looking very professional.

Two questions:

1. Does that sort of iPad set-up use a cellular signal for the data to Google Maps? My tablet is WiFi only and I'm assuming this one you have is basically giving you the functionality or connectivity of the iPhone with a bigger screen? I have a golf course yardage app on my iPhone which only uses GPS and not data (same for a speedometer app) so was wondering if there was a Google GPS equivalent that didn't need an Internet connection.
    Thanks! Yes, you need cellular data for it to work.

2. Any secrets you can share on adjusting your doors? I'm in that camp of owners that don't have the greatest closing alignment and have somewhat given up for the time being as I'm not sure what to fine tune next. Any general suggestions or tricks you found worked the best?

Thanks!
    Here is my compilation of the advice of others that helped me adjust my doors perfectly:

From DMCHelp 2006:

"There are no absolute measurements or resource for door adjustment. You just fool with it until it's right. It took the Irish about 2000 cars thru production to become consistent in door placement. Early cars, especially sub-1000 VINs, are notorious for their poor fit.
    So far as the door seals, if they are shredding along the top where the headliners meet, the problem is likely the seal mounting angle, not the door fit. The front outside corner is usually the place. To correct this, pull the seal away from the fiberglass lip in the door opening. With a Dremel or other rotory file, grind out the excess material from the inner radius of the fiberglass molding along the lip. This will allow the seal to sit more upright and miss the headliner as it closes with the door.
    Warren at DMC"

And in terms of aligning the door, Byrne Henninger's advice was priceless:

"We use the following procedure in aligning the door to the body.
    1. Remove door strut
    2. Pop door open
    3. Remove striker pins
    4. Remove outer door seals
    5. Loosen door hinges
    6. Apply small amount of oil above and below hinge bolts
    7. Lower door slowly and let free fall last several inches (repeat free fall several times and close firmly by hand each time)
    8. Tighten hinge nuts until just snug
    9. Repeat #7
    10. Repeat #8
    11. Repeat #7 and # 8 until door hinge nuts show no movement then tighten each firmly
    12. Lean against door and inspect alignment, repeat procedures #5, 7 and 8 if necessary
    13. Set one striker pin at a time.
    14. Striker pin adjusts in a rectangular box configuration: left/ right, up/down ( there are effectively six positions.)
    15. Striker pin adjustment is trial and error but note you moves and result
    16. Replace outer door seals flush and only barely above edge of fender. There is no need to slam doors.

NEVER DRIVE WITH DOOR OPEN, IT IS A SERVERE STRAIN ON DOOR AS WELL AS HINGE and causes misalignment"
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    3937

That's terrific, Patrick, thanks!

Out of all the door alignment tricks I've tried (in random order no doubt, which likely doesn't help), I have not touched the hinges. I know I have seen warnings not to do so, but I'm guessing that is the missing link to some degree that may be necessary on my car. For a bunch of identical cars, this is probably one of those things that everyone has a slightly different version of their solution. I'll give it a shot when the weather warms up a bit more! Thanks!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Two questions:

Thanks!
    Most GPS apps use the built in GPS of the device- my iPad works fine with Trapster and doesn't have wireless.
    Also you can always set up your phone as a wifi hotspot (or get the Verizon mobile hotspot). However if you set up,your phone as a hotspot, I'm not sure you still get phone functionality while it's on.

My VIN:    3060

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Most GPS apps use the built in GPS of the device- my iPad works fine with Trapster and doesn't have wireless.
    For mapping apps, that is only true if the maps are local on the device. With Google Maps, it downloads the relevant piece of the map on-demand when you want to look at it. That would need a data connection. But if you use an app that has all the maps locally already, then yes, you could just use GPS only.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    All iPads have wireless. The GPS chip doesn't provide map data at all, only coordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    For mapping apps, that is only true if the maps are local on the device. With Google Maps, it downloads the relevant piece of the map on-demand when you want to look at it. That would need a data connection.
    Apple Maps works in this way as well.
    - Chris

what

A picture of what my car will look like at shows.
    Attached Images
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast