FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Door lights don't work

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by kl31 View Post
    yeah they don't turn off when the door is shut.

easy solution though. add some epoxy on the tip of the door light button.

what are the diodes?
    The simplest suggestion I received from Dave S was to pick up a pack of "vacuum caps" at your local parts store. These little rubber ends can add enough bulk to get your plungers to push in adequately when the doors are closed. Door alignment comes into play here as well if not quite right. For example if the rear end of your door looks slightly out of alignment with the rub strips, it might not be clicked down all the way in the latch. Give it a more firm push to find out.

You can also ensure the inside end of the plunger switch is not wobbling around at the fiberglass. It may need to be tightened so it isn't the piece moving. Guys often pull the connector on those switches if the doors are open at car shows and you don't have LEDs and worry about draining your battery. Like you said, easy fix.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    1335

Quote Originally Posted by kl31 View Post
    Well, i fixed the lighting. Turns out that the previous owner disconnected the door lights from the door button, which was something i overlooked. lol.

However, the dome lights only turn on if i turn it on at the light housing. There's no current going through the dome lighting that would turn it on if the door was open-closed.
    I'm having the same issue. Where do I reconnect this? The consignment dealer I bought the car through said the previous owner disconnect the door lights so he could show the car with the door open and not kill the battery. I have the panel trim off. Where and how do I reconnect the door lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhennick99 View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Where do I reconnect this? The consignment dealer I bought the car through said the previous owner disconnect the door lights so he could show the car with the door open and not kill the battery. I have the panel trim off. Where and how do I reconnect the door lights?
    When you open your doors, you will notice two black plungers located to the right of where the front of your door latches to the fiberglass tub. Now look just under the dash and either to the left or right depending what door you are at and you will see this (see attached photo). This is the other side of the plungers and activate the door buzzer, interior dome/parcel shelf lights, as well as the door lights. You will notice one of mine is unplugged (door buzzer). It is common for some of these to be unplugged as owners who do not have LEDs do this to avoid battery drain, especially at at car shows when the doors are left open for extended periods of time.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 12-27-2018 at 07:33 AM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhennick99 View Post
    Besides the door switches an owner may choose to pull out Fuse 12 to conveniently kill all the convenience lights incl. the door clearance lights.

If your door switches are both connected then look at the fuse holder. Make sure there's a (good) fuse in the slot in the center position in the row of 3 fuses closest to front of car. 10 amps. If lights such as the trunk light, the engine bay light, glove box light work as they should then Fuse 12 is OK.
    Last edited by Rich; 12-27-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the wires have been pulled off the door plunger switches on the driver's door be careful. There are 2 groups of 2 wires and they cannot be "crossed", ie, the 2 taped together must go to one switch and the other group of 2 to the other. One switch is for the buzzer and one is for the lights. Cross them together and nothing works right. Doesn't matter which switch is which but you MUST keep each group of 2 together. If the lights don't go off when you close the door try pushing the plunger in with your fingers and the lights should go off. If they do make sure there is a rubber tip on the plunger. If it is missing you can use a short piece of vacuum hose. If they don't could be a problem with the switch. They can loosen up or it could be the other switch in the other door keeping the lights on. Disconnect the wire to the switch for the engine bay light. If it stays on the plastic housing melts and the brass contacts inside will touch and short and blow the fuse.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2