FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the PRV is the Achilles heel...what's the easiest/cheapest engine swap out there?

the PRV is the Achilles heel...what's the easiest/cheapest engine swap out there?

I'm sure many of you out there in Deloreanland have done engine swaps....

Is it possible to do one for under $5k??

or am I in Dreamland?

thanx in advance...

/Blair

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by btrottie View Post
    I'm sure many of you out there in Deloreanland have done engine swaps....

Is it possible to do one for under $5k??

or am I in Dreamland?

thanx in advance...

/Blair
    Hi Blair,

Is this your opinion having driven a DeLorean?

There is a ton of information on engine swaps. Have you run a search?

There are several threads happening right now with engine swaps from a turbo VR6 (IIRC) and a vette LS1 to a buick grand national.

Engine swaps are the most common question next to "I want a cheap DeLorean" we get around here. Take a look around and enjoy yourself. You'll find what you're looking for!

On the other hand, our PRV is the 351 of Europe and is an incredibly reliable and highly modifiable engine from carburation to EFI, turbo and supercharging etc. So I'd hardly call it the achillies heel.

Welcome!

Buick
    Turbo VR6
    Twin Turbo PRV
    Last edited by sdg3205; 03-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1710

The "easiest" & "cheapest" swap is to replace the DeLorean's 2.8 PRV with a later Eagle 3.0 PRV. The benefits of that engine are the fact it's got more power, it's EFI (NOT mechanical K-Jet), later models have distributorless ignition, it's even fire, and it's a relatively straightforward engine swap. Not quite plug & play, but as close to that as possible with the DeLorean.

About 10-15 years ago there were several Chevrolet 4.3 v6 engine swaps done. That motor was a good fit for our cars because it was compact, reliable, parts were sourced easily, it was more powerful, and easy to modify. There was even an adapter plate available to mate the 4.3 to the DeLorean transaxle. This conversion seems to have gone the way of the dodo, though.

Modern engine swaps seem to be all over the place due to the proliferation of aftermarket EFI. Everything from a Honda/Acura V6, to a Nissan V6, a few GM small block V8s, a VW VR6, and even a Toyota Supra inline 6. The sky, your abilities, and your bank account are the limiting factors.
    Louie Golden

Dave

Here, somewhere.

I inherited a bunch of engine issues from the car I just bought. I've done a lot of research on the PRVs and haven't seen a lot of positive comments.

I was hoping that there was an easy (and well documented swap) I could do for under $5k....

I know nothing is plug-n-play but I'm looking for something straight-forward..

/Blair

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

-Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Carb it.

There. I said it.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Is this your opinion having driven a DeLorean?

On the other hand, our PRV is the 351 of Europe and is an incredibly reliable and highly modifiable engine from carburation to EFI, turbo and supercharging etc. So I'd hardly call it the achillies heel.
    I've owned 2 DeLoreans, and I definitely think the PRV is the DeLorean's Achilles Heel. K-Jet applications are very fussy/unreliable, the top ends of many PRV engines are starting to rot completely through, the PRV is very sensitive & prone to vacuum leaks, the stock DeLorean PRV sounds very nasal & wheezy, and the engine just isn't very responsive or powerful. You have to spend big bucks to get small power from the PRV, even when modified they are pretty gutless on the low end, and once the valley rots out on one, they're done for. I will stop short of calling it a terrible engine, but it's definitely not the ideal powerplant for a low slung sporty 2 seater.
    Louie Golden

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

The funny thing about K-Jet is that I've dealt with a whole lot of cars with that system, but I've only ever seen it be problematic on DeLoreans. Wonder why that is. *shrugs*
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

OK, I know who you are now. You're on the ODOC FB page. We've talked there a bit.

Let's start here: what are these engine issues, specifically?

The chances of you being able to swap an engine for less than taking the time to actually make what you have work is unlikely, unless your engine problem is "it's missing" Dave up above had what is considered to be the simplest and cheapest advice out there if your issues are fuel related. Even still, there are things you'll be doing to make it work, and you'll be fabricating and spending over $1000 Cdn on it.

Most of ODOC is in the GTA, but there are Ottawa/Montreal owners, with varying degrees of mechanical aptitude. Maybe a shout out to them can get you some second opinions?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast