FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frame off for AC hose exchange?

My VIN:    701

Frame off for AC hose exchange?

I'm almost done with my car, but we have problems with AC hoses underneath the car.
    My mechanic told me that we have to do frame off, in order to exchange the hoses which are running under the car?
    Is there another way to change it? Really we have to take off again the body?

In Florida we have a place called Amazon hose and rubber. They made me a set of hoses but didn’t put the end fittings on. I was able to feed these in to the frame and take it back to the shop and they crimped the end on. It worked great and no frame off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopat View Post
    I'm almost done with my car, but we have problems with AC hoses underneath the car.
    My mechanic told me that we have to do frame off, in order to exchange the hoses which are running under the car?
    Is there another way to change it? Really we have to take off again the body?

My VIN:    701

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In Florida we have a place called Amazon hose and rubber. They made me a set of hoses but didn’t put the end fittings on. I was able to feed these in to the frame and take it back to the shop and they crimped the end on. It worked great and no frame off.
    Thanks JIM

Do you have some photos, or detailed instructions how to do it?
    It would help a lot.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bopat View Post
    Thanks JIM

Do you have some photos, or detailed instructions how to do it?
    It would help a lot.
    Special T sells hoses that "split" with a coupling so you can pass the hoses in so you don't need to take the car to a shop to crimp ends on. He has whole kits for whatever you want to do. At the very least you should replace all 3 hoses, all of the "O" rings, and the dryer/accumulator. Flush and replace the oil in the compressor too.
    David Teitelbaum

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Special T sells hoses that "split" with a coupling so you can pass the hoses in so you don't need to take the car to a shop to crimp ends on. He has whole kits for whatever you want to do. At the very least you should replace all 3 hoses, all of the "O" rings, and the dryer/accumulator. Flush and replace the oil in the compressor too.
    That is a bad idea as it is more places to leak. Two additional connections means 8 more places to leak on the car that shouldn't be there. Not to mention the hose is 80's technology. Almost as bad as buying 30+ year old NOS rubber hoses. The only way to go is with modern aeroquip line and custom fittings.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If you get the car on a lift (with the lift under the body jack points), you can slip the hoses through without separating the body from the frame. It's pretty hard otherwise but still doable.

Hervey's hoses work great!

Two fittings vs the issues of a single hose? - come on!!

Hervey's hoses are a great deal and the ones I got were a very good quality. As far as I'm concerned two more seals is nothing - besides - they are easy to access. I've had no issues with them in 4 or 5 years they have been on the car.

Not to mention that modern barrier technology is light years ahead of the older style. By maintaining the pressure differential the system is more efficient. We have owners who state you can't run it on the max fan setting because it will freeze you out of the car.

Our outside diameter is far less compared to the bulky older style lines as well. The connection points are also maintained to the same crimping standards as modern automotive products ensuring the proper spec is maintained.
    Attached Images

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

So Josh, with your hoses it is easier to install the hoses, with no need for frame separation or split hose voodoo?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    So Josh, with your hoses it is easier to install the hoses, with no need for frame separation or split hose voodoo?
    Nope. with our style we are now sending one end not crimped. Slide the hoses through, orientate the end. Use the hand eatonquip tool supplied with the kit and done.

Previously until a few weeks ago our manufacture required us to purchase hose assemblies complete. From here on out we can now install without lifting the body or having a split hose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast