FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Carpets, smell, old foam...etc.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    I thought the foam on my parcel shelf was the main problem & replaced it....still had an odd smell in the car. The smell my car has is not mildew, but is more like an adhesive...almost like a gasoline-type scent. It's not the carpet either & having never been able to lock onto the source, I gave up & just accepted it.

THEN....I recovered my seats this winter & found it's the seat foam that has the smell. I left the seats bare for a few days & used Febreeze on them before re-covering. I haven't put them back in the car yet, but will know if I did anything at all when I get them back in the car in a week or 2.

If it's still there, I'm not upset as the smell is not really that offensive, but is strong enough that I'm reminded every time I open the door of the car & the smell hits me.
    Did covering the seats fix the odor problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    OK I found out the name of the system. It's called Auto Scents brand Wipe Out Odor Eliminator System. It's actually a 6 step process and seems pretty thorough.

http://www.autoscentsinc.com/xcart/p...p?productid=66

Thanks, I'll probably give this a try after recovering my seats.

I removed the carpets and I'm planning to clean & replace them.

What type of adhesive is used to re-install? Around the doors it appears to be weatherstrip adhesive.

I'm also wondering if it's necessary to remove the yellow foam from the carpets. It doesn't seem to smell bad like the parcel shelf pieces did, has anybody else here left it on during cleaning and re-install, or is it best practice to get rid of all yellow foam in sight?

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post

What type of adhesive is used to re-install? Around the doors it appears to be weatherstrip adhesive.

I'm also wondering if it's necessary to remove the yellow foam from the carpets. It doesn't seem to smell bad like the parcel shelf pieces did, has anybody else here left it on during cleaning and re-install, or is it best practice to get rid of all yellow foam in sight?
    IMHO, the call of whether to replace or not is solely up to you. You already know my motto - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If the existing foam padding is in good condition and isn't disintegrating, then I'd keep and reuse it. But that's me.

As far as adhesives go, in the past, I've used various 3M products over the years with good results - Super 77, Hi-Strength 90, Fastbond Contact Adhesive, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    IMHO, the call of whether to replace or not is solely up to you.
    I'm hoping to not replace unless I really need to!

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    You already know my motto - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    Mine too..!

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Did covering the seats fix the odor problem?
    Not really. The scent is still there, but I don't think it is quite as strong as it was.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    10722

I installed a new molded carpet set from DMCH a few months ago and asked this very same question. I ended up using almost no adhesive at all to install the carpet, except near the deadman pedal in the driver's footwell and the back panel. It will be so much easier to remove when I get ready to install my killer stereo system... I left all the old yellow foam and there is very little smell left.

Andy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3