FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: To Cat or Not to Cat??

My VIN:    2964

To Cat or Not to Cat??

Hi all,

I rememebr reading, without the catalytic converters the Delorean has around 170HP. Sound right??

I am in the processs of changing the whole exhaust system, are the cats really necessary?? I live in New York so the cats are not mandatory.

What do you guys recommend??

Thank you!!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

No way there is a 40 HP gain from going cat-less.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You will notice a performance boost without the cat - I ran a hollow cat for more than a year until I had to get smogged again.

My VIN:    3299

I dont have a cat on mine, and there's no way I am getting 170 HP. Maybe 140-145 at most.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Removing a cat gets you an additional 12 HP at the most.
    The 160 HP power is only found in European versions of the PRV.
    The US version, without cat will reach about 140-142.

Mind that these figures only refer to SAE (crank) HP, not wheel HP!

Dyno (wheel) figures go from some 90 (auto) to some 110 (manual) for our standard DeLorean engine.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Hi all,

I rememebr reading, without the catalytic converters the Delorean has around 170HP. Sound right??

I am in the processs of changing the whole exhaust system, are the cats really necessary?? I live in New York so the cats are not mandatory.

What do you guys recommend??

Thank you!!
    Where we live any vehicle that's 25 years old or order doesn't have to pass emissions anymore (but you already know that). I think our motors can be set up to produce 170 HP but not with stock settings (timing, fuel pres, maybe cams not sure). My exhaust is bone stock with Cats. It's still in good shape so I'm leaving it until I need to do something. I'll probably go with a stage 1 from DMCH or a Hervey setup. I'll see when the time is right.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Where we live any vehicle that's 25 years old or order doesn't have to pass emissions anymore
    Not in California I'm afraid. We have to pass every 2 years and before we can sell it...

Any car after 1977 has to pass here, and that date is no longer rolling, it sticks...

I enjoyed not having a cat for a while - the gain was similar to what I have now with Stegers cams. If the cat wasn't so hard to bolt up to the muffler I would probably swapped my hollow cat back on and only installed it for the smog tests.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    ... I think our motors can be set up to produce 170 HP but not with stock settings (timing, fuel pres, maybe cams not sure).....
    Not unless you're planning to replace the pistons too -- Euro PRV's are 9.5:1 compression. Fueling is commensurately different as well (you could probably create a reasonable facsimile by running the frequency valve open loop). Euro CPR's have the same final control pressure as North American units, but they start lower and take longer to get there (with no Lambda to contend with, they run rich the whole time manifold pressure is down). Richer overall fuel metering allows a slightly more aggressive spark advance curve (base timing is actually retarded from North American spec: 10 degrees BTDC).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 07-25-2011 at 07:17 AM.

My VIN:    Vin 11753 ex Vin 11766, 11622

Club(s):   (ADOA) (DCH)

152hp at the flywheel, 119hp at the wheels, stock fuelling with UK performance exhaust.

We have a few guys who have fitted the Euro fuelling with DeLorean engine, one guy with such a set up and a UK exhaust, got 158 and 124 respectively.
    Al Vanstone
    Vin 11753 - Kuwait
    Ex Vin 11766 - Dubai
    Ex Vin 11622 - Culloden Auction

www.deloreanclub.co.uk
    As seen on The One Show, Channel 5, Discovery, Britains Greatest Machines and of course Wheeler Dealers!
    Want to know about balljoint failure.. look here http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...hp?f=13&t=2198

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I don't want to misquote anybody but someone should ask Justin Mettee about his car. I think he said he's making about 190 HP on a stock bottom end. I don't remember what's been done to it aside from cams and exhaust.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast