FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: where to find piston sleeves individually new

where to find piston sleeves individually new

Does anyone on here know where I could buy piston sleeves for the PRV V6 individually? I have had no luck so far and I have been only been able to find them in sets. the rest of the pistons and piston sleeves are in good shape except for #4 and the piston for #4 is fine. All I need is the sleeve

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You might be a bit hard pressed to find just the liner?? I believe all the vendors will only sell them in sets.

If I recall correctly, back in the day the pistons were manufactured by a couple of different companies (Demolin & Mahle?) and came in 3 different sizes. Each piston was supposed to be stamped with either an A, B or C and the liners were either marked 1,2 or 3 or the outer lip of the sleeve was notched out with 1,2 or 3 notches. Thus mating A to 1 and B to 2 etc.

When I rebuilt my engine I needed to come up with 3 "stock" pistons due to the PO having the motor re-built by some dumb@ss mechanic who used 3 "forged - high compression pistons" on one bank of the engine and leaving the other bank with 3 stock pistons. Its a longggg story and don't ask. But, and you can search for it on this site and read about my previous dilemma. What I did was locate 3 used stock pistons & liners. I then took the 3 stock pistons and 6 stock liners and had a machine shop micrometer and match up the best 3 pistons with the best 3 liners. You CAN mix n match you just need to be careful and check tolerances! I have 4K on my rebuild and could not be happier with the performance.

If you can check your bad liner and find any identifying marks, let me know. I believe I still have 3 liners laying around out in the shop and they might just work for you??
    -Jeff

ok and what do you mean by identifying marks? There is like two tick marks on top of the sleeve. How much would want for those 3 liners if you still think you have them? Here are some pictures of the damaged sleeves #4 and 6 #4 2.jpg#6.jpg

My VIN:    3015

A proper engine/machine shop will be able to fabricate a new sleeve for you. I'd take in the whole block and let them machine a sleeve down to the specs of the other sleeves. Replacing the sleeve without a perfectly matching piston could be tricky, so if the piston is fine I the sleeve might have to be honed to fit anyway.

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by michfan09 View Post
    ok and what do you mean by identifying marks? There is like two tick marks on top of the sleeve. How much would want for those 3 liners if you still think you have them? Here are some pictures of the damaged sleeves #4 and 6 #4 2.jpg#6.jpg
    Yes, the two hash marks are the identifying marks I am talking about. See the pic of one of my liners below. Also, click on the PDF file which gives a description/measurements of the liners and pistons.

I will also send you a PM.

20140328_172448.jpg

delorean.pdf
    -Jeff