FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a project car

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    It's good to see you taking a level-headed approach this time as opposed to last year when you were trying to get someone to take your Mustang as a trade.
    I see now, yes. Who hasn't dropped logic when it comes to DeLoreans here? I realise my mustang wasn't worth a running DeLorean in value, but couldn't see it at the time. I'd trade her for a non-running ($10k quality) D, but I use the Mustang to carry stuff around in a capacity my motorcycle can't, so I'm just going to build a DeLorean from the ground up. So first thing I'll need is a chassis and body tub to start (Mainly the chassis).

I emailed a few DMC locations from DeLorean.com about obtaining either a new or a used chassis (Even one that needed some work, so far haven't heard back). Then again, DeLorean.com never seems to return my emails.

What other cars use an identical PRV, was it just a specific Volvo model? That's probably where I'm going to get my PRV from unless I opt for another engine, but I kinda want to keep it as stock as possible with a few upgrades here and there.

I'd like to add, is there a good source of information, some publication that would greatly help with my project?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    I'd like to add, is there a good source of information, some publication that would greatly help with my project?
    This forum, and the factory manual set.

BTW - assembling a car by buying the parts one at a time is going to be by far the most expensive way you can buy a DeLorean. At least start with a whole car, even if it's in bad shape and not running it will be much less expensive and much less trouble than starting with a bare frame or tub.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    This forum, and the factory manual set.

BTW - assembling a car by buying the parts one at a time is going to be by far the most expensive way you can buy a DeLorean. At least start with a whole car, even if it's in bad shape and not running it will be much less expensive and much less trouble than starting with a bare frame or tub.
    Is the factory manual online or can I purchase it from DMC online store?

You're right about starting with a bad car, I don't mind putting in a ton of work, it's just I haven't found anything like that yet for sale. I don't mind driving out of the way to get my project car, it's just I haven't located anything unless DMCMW has anything like that or can keep yours eyes out for such a project. How much more would a ground up DeLorean cost compared to a regular restoration?

I think I can find a Volvo 760 PRV, which from my reading online will work perfectly.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    Is the factory manual online or can I purchase it from DMC online store?

You're right about starting with a bad car, I don't mind putting in a ton of work, it's just I haven't found anything like that yet for sale. I don't mind driving out of the way to get my project car, it's just I haven't located anything unless DMCMW has anything like that or can keep yours eyes out for such a project. How much more would a ground up DeLorean cost compared to a regular restoration?

I think I can find a Volvo 760 PRV, which from my reading online will work perfectly.
    The factory parts manual (all the exploded views) is essentially the http://store.delorean.com/ site. All the manuals are available here:

http://store.delorean.com/c-326-9-4-...s-manuals.aspx

I believe someone has gone to the trouble of copying the entire service manual online but I don't know where.

There's no way to tell how much it would cost from parts as costs are so variable in the used parts market. I've never added up an entire car built from NOS parts at list price (nobody would do this!) but I'll bet it could hit $100K, probably more. This is true for any car, try building a new Chevy from the parts counter and see what it costs you.

Read through this one if you have some time - this guy bought a car in pieces for $3000, did 100% of his own labor, and still managed to spend $25K (over a 5 year period) to put it together http://projectvixen.com/

We seem to acquire "project" cars from time to time but nothing at the moment. They seem to have gone up a bit as well.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Yeah, I'm aiming for around $10k and a manual transmission. No rush, going to keep looking until one appears.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

break your restoration down into sections as I did mine. You can completely cover areas of your car all at once, and do things as you can afford them.

1. Get everything running/functioning correctly.
    2. Suspension work and brakes/tires/wheels.
    3. Exterior work including SS panels, perhaps glass, facias, etc.
    4. Interior work
    5. Trunk/engine Bay areas.

I'm about 6 years in with only interior left to do. Didn't think it would take this long, but I'm glad I'm being this thorough. Doesn't help that I have OCD with my car either... Also, some parts are not available anymore so you always have to be watching for parts for sale even if you are not working on those sections of the car at the time.

My VIN:    5482

Those Beverly Hills Car Club specimens always seem way overpriced to me and usually in rough shape to begin with.
    Jeff

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Those Beverly Hills Car Club specimens always seem way overpriced to me and usually in rough shape to begin with.
    Actually, that purple one didn't look too bad to me - price was at least in the ball park anyway...

They've sold quite a few DeLoreans in a variety of conditions:

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/s...e=bymm&Submit=

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast