FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a project car

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Actually, that purple one didn't look too bad to me - price was at least in the ball park anyway...

They've sold quite a few DeLoreans in a variety of conditions:

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/s...e=bymm&Submit=
    Yeah but it's an automatic.. Unless it's an easy conversion over to manual? Plus I think it's a sold car.

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Supposedly a guy from TN sold it to them for $4500. A person from CT looked at it before they bought it and the engine needs to be rebuilt, complete interior, cooling and fuel system. Plus who knows what damage is under the paint. BHCC is a very good company to deal with and their sales guys are very honest. I know a few people who bought cars from them and they were very happy. Good Luck

I've been giving the BHCC DeLorean a lot of thought, I'm not sure it's the right car for me, since I want a manual and I could convert it more than likely, but that would likely be a real pain and I don't have experience with converting automatic to manual. When they say "Motor turns freely by hand" What exactly do they mean? I emailed them with some questions, awaiting a reply, I just wish their description wasn't so vague and lacking.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    I've been giving the BHCC DeLorean a lot of thought, I'm not sure it's the right car for me, since I want a manual and I could convert it more than likely, but that would likely be a real pain and I don't have experience with converting automatic to manual. When they say "Motor turns freely by hand" What exactly do they mean? I emailed them with some questions, awaiting a reply, I just wish their description wasn't so vague and lacking.
    Let it go. Don't buy a rat's nest. I think you should up your buying price to 15K. That would completely change the type of project you'd be getting. Plus...even at 15 you are still going to be doing quite a bit of work which is what you want, but a 10K or a sub-10K car may be more than you are wanting to take on. Don't do something you will regret later on....

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    IMHO, if your heart is set on a manual, then wait for a manual. A swap is a bigger / more involved / expensive job than many realize.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

The Muskegon, MI DeLorean has just been re-listed on eBay, granted it's an auto trans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC...US_Cars_Trucks

I personally evaluated this car last November. My complete report/write-up can be found here:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ull=1#post6027

And here's a little something that I just posted regarding DeLorean value/prices, if you're interested:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...=9522#post9522

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    Let it go. Don't buy a rat's nest. I think you should up your buying price to 15K. That would completely change the type of project you'd be getting. Plus...even at 15 you are still going to be doing quite a bit of work which is what you want, but a 10K or a sub-10K car may be more than you are wanting to take on. Don't do something you will regret later on....
    Yeah, I'm not sold on that car anyway, I really don't trust how vague they're being in the description and my correspondence with them on email, they continue the same level of vagueness and it's setting off my red alert klaxon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-90IFwppM

Yeah, might have to up my search to 15k as 10k is getting me nowhere fast.

IMHO, if your heart is set on a manual, then wait for a manual. A swap is a bigger / more involved / expensive job than many realize.
    Yeah, I hate automatic so much, it's boring and takes the fun out of driving. I'm not as eager to jump into things as I used to be, I'm sure the right car will eventually come along. My only real search criteria is the car must be a manual.. No shame in admitting, that I seriously have no idea how to do a conversion, I have an idea, but I'd rather not waste time with that and put time and money into other, more important areas on the car.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Agreed. Doing a transmission conversion is possible, but only worth the effort if you already have a strong attachment or investment in that particular car. Otherwise, start off with the kind of transmission you want. You'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Agreed. Doing a transmission conversion is possible, but only worth the effort if you already have a strong attachment or investment in that particular car. Otherwise, start off with the kind of transmission you want. You'll be glad you did.
    Yeah, I'm in no hurry to find the car, I'm going to wait for the perfect one before I make a move, even if it means turning down some, I know what I want and I'm hoping to find a great deal too. Manual is a requirement, black interior isn't required, but highly preferable. Even though the '82 with black interior is a 'unicorn', wouldn't it be sweet to come across one?

I've learned from my past mistakes about trying to be in so much of a hurry, these cars aren't going anywhere, I'll always find one, but as I said, waiting for the one that really catches my attention before dropping any cash on anything.

My VIN:    5482

I've owned more manual shift vehicles than autos and while I do prefer manual over auto for weekend cars like my D, my love for the D trumped that preference and I jumped on the best deal I could find without factoring in the transmission.

That said, for my daily driver I prefer auto these days. I live in Dallas and the stop and go traffic is horrendous. I drove a manual shift Audi A4 into downtown for 5 years and I don't miss that drive one bit.
    Jeff

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast