FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Career advice

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Michael and DMCVegas said it well, at least as far as I'm concerned, from the perspective of your goal, auto restoration. I'm going to approach it more generically.

Form a plan to get you from where you are to where you want to be. Make your plan specific. That will involve research on various things. These are things others in the thread have mentioned, but I'm talking about you really looking into it. Find out about schools, education, costs, internships or apprenticeships, entry level jobs, specific advancement paths, specific local places you could work. Document these; which can be as simple as writing them down or as complex as a binder of brochures for the places you want to study and work in chronological order. Talk to companies that you might want to work at and find out what will give you a leg up to get in the door. Again, form a plan, follow it as well as you can, and as life causes deviations, do a bit more research to get you back on plan or at least to allow you to modify your plan so it still suits you.

If you have a goal you can make it happen but it won't likely be on a wing and a prayer or by the seat of your pants. It will be with good planning.

Good luck!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Michael and DMCVegas said it well, at least as far as I'm concerned, from the perspective of your goal, auto restoration. I'm going to approach it more generically.

Form a plan to get you from where you are to where you want to be. Make your plan specific. That will involve research on various things. These are things others in the thread have mentioned, but I'm talking about you really looking into it. Find out about schools, education, costs, internships or apprenticeships, entry level jobs, specific advancement paths, specific local places you could work. Document these; which can be as simple as writing them down or as complex as a binder of brochures for the places you want to study and work in chronological order. Talk to companies that you might want to work at and find out what will give you a leg up to get in the door. Again, form a plan, follow it as well as you can, and as life causes deviations, do a bit more research to get you back on plan or at least to allow you to modify your plan so it still suits you.

If you have a goal you can make it happen but it won't likely be on a wing and a prayer or by the seat of your pants. It will be with good planning.

Good luck!
    Going to a trade school is one way. Another is to apprentice yourself out to a shop that does restorations. If you can find the right one, you don't have to pay for school and you get some income while you learn. You might be starting out sweeping floors but if you are reliable and conscientious they will teach you the trade.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Going to a trade school is one way. Another is to apprentice yourself out to a shop that does restorations. If you can find the right one, you don't have to pay for school and you get some income while you learn. You might be starting out sweeping floors but if you are reliable and conscientious they will teach you the trade.
    This is very true. I once had one of those crossroads in my life where I could have apprenticed in a Diesel repair shop and worked my way up, or gone into Telecommunications.

I still wonder if I made the right decision sometimes....
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by RoyHinkley View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but in all honesty I don't have a mortgage so I have no mortgage company. I live debt free. It's actually very fulfilling, but I understand it just not possible for everyone.
    Hey Bill, how ya doing?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    TBA@LaterDate

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Hey Bill, how ya doing?
    My name is Roy, and I live a lot closer to you than Bill.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks I'm Bill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2