FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AC charge and related leak

My VIN:    16882.

AC charge and related leak

Prior to buying my D the PO converted to R134 and charged the system. The AC worked well for about 4-5 months. Afterwards, nothing. Apparently a leak. I'm letting a local shop charge it back up this weekend. Any advice on common leak areas? I'm told it could be o-rings on the evaporator... How hard is it to work on?

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Prior to buying my D the PO converted to R134 and charged the system. The AC worked well for about 4-5 months. Afterwards, nothing. Apparently a leak. I'm letting a local shop charge it back up this weekend. Any advice on common leak areas? I'm told it could be o-rings on the evaporator... How hard is it to work on?
    Do you know if the PO replaced any components when he converted? If so, that would be a good place to sniff for leaks.

Another good tell-tale is the presence of dirt: Escaping refrigerant contains a small amont of oil so wherever there is a leak, there is dirt.

Generally, any joint is suspect. However, the compressor has moving parts and sits on a vibrating, hot engine in etc. so it is often your culprit. If you have a sniffer, check the lip seal (behind the clutch), the oil plug, the valve plate (b/w compressor's cyl. block and head) and the connections in the back.
    Last edited by Henrik; 04-02-2014 at 09:34 PM.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You can also buy a kit at the auto parts store with a UV flashlight and glasses for around 10-15 bucks. The system has a dye in it that glows under UV.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    03572

Most common are the service valves. Put a little soapy water on them to see if they leak. My AC leaked running R134 at the hose from evaporator to accumulator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Most common are the service valves. Put a little soapy water on them to see if they leak. My AC leaked running R134 at the hose from evaporator to accumulator.
    The service ports are a common source of leaks. Next are the gaskets on the back of the compressor and all of the seals on the high side. If you still have the original hoses they become very leaky too. Bottom line, every joint and hose can be a leak.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The service ports are a common source of leaks. Next are the gaskets on the back of the compressor and all of the seals on the high side. If you still have the original hoses they become very leaky too. Bottom line, every joint and hose can be a leak.
    David
    so how do you fix service port or service valve leak?
    Thanks

You can just try to tighten the valves in the service ports. You need the long tool for AC work to tighten them.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    David
    so how do you fix service port or service valve leak?
    Thanks
    Good Practice includes replacing the valve cores during any service on the system. Also throw away the plastic covers and use metal ones. Not only will metal covers (caps) prevent dust and dirt from getting into the valves, it will seal the port and prevent leaks. The plastic ones cannot do that.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Good Practice includes replacing the valve cores during any service on the system. Also throw away the plastic covers and use metal ones. Not only will metal covers (caps) prevent dust and dirt from getting into the valves, it will seal the port and prevent leaks. The plastic ones cannot do that.
    He is running R134. No metal caps for that.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    He is running R134. No metal caps for that.
    That applies only if the fittings have been changed to -134. I see all the time systems converted and they still use the -12 service ports. There are adapter fittings you can buy and screw on over the shrader valves but they are expensive and not often used. If he bought new hoses with the -134 fittings that is a different story. Those valves seem to seal well and only need the plastic covers to prevent dirt from getting in. When converting to -134, to do it properly, you are supposed to change all of the seals, the oil, the service ports, and a new label indicating the conversion and the correct fill over the -12 label.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast