FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AC charge and related leak

When I bought mine in 2005, it was also converted to R134, and I had it leak tested and charged. For about 5 years after that, I have had seals and O-rings replaced, and leaks tests showing it was tight. For each of those years, I lost the charge over the winter and needed it recharged. I read somewhere that the molecular make-up of the R134 can actually leech throught the original hose material, which I beleive was my problem. I replaced the two long runs of hose that go under the car (using the spliced types available from vendors that allow repalcement without separating body from frame), had it recharged and for the last 4 years, I have not lost the charge and it runs cold in the spring when I start using the car again.

In your case, if no leaks but you lose charge each season, try replacing the long runs of hose with new ones compatible with the R134 gas.

Good Luck,

Paul

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sweetp01569 View Post
    When I bought mine in 2005, it was also converted to R134, and I had it leak tested and charged. For about 5 years after that, I have had seals and O-rings replaced, and leaks tests showing it was tight. For each of those years, I lost the charge over the winter and needed it recharged. I read somewhere that the molecular make-up of the R134 can actually leech throught the original hose material, which I beleive was my problem. I replaced the two long runs of hose that go under the car (using the spliced types available from vendors that allow repalcement without separating body from frame), had it recharged and for the last 4 years, I have not lost the charge and it runs cold in the spring when I start using the car again.

In your case, if no leaks but you lose charge each season, try replacing the long runs of hose with new ones compatible with the R134 gas.

Good Luck,

Paul
    You really should also replace the short hose from the condenser coil to the accumulator too. The newer hoses use what they call a "barrier" type hose which is just a liner inside. One of the problems with a rear-engined car is the use of very long hoses for the A/C. Every hose leaks, even new hoses. In fact there is a spec and it rates the leakage by the foot. It stands to reason, the more hose the higher the leakage rate. The other thing is age. As hoses age they deteriorate and the leakage rate increases. The original hoses were never made to last 20 years and now they are over 30! Using -134 makes things even worse! Not only is it composed of smaller molecules, it is blended and the small stuff gets out first leaving the blend off-balance. On top of that -134 runs at much higher pressures and hotter temperatures. Makes the old hoses time bombs with a short fuse! Don't forget to upgrade your cooling system too. -134 makes that work harder too and that old plastic radiator is also on "borrowed time".
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16882.

AC charge and related leak

$$$ !!! Great.

My VIN:    16882.

AC charge and related leak

So I picked up one if those DIY kits at Autozone and ended up putting 20oz of freon into the system. First thing I noticed as the freon started to flow was that the compressor came on and stayed on - didn't cut off or "cycle." Is this normal? It's blowing cold today, we'll see tomorrow, but isn't the system supposed to cycle on and off as you drive, rather than stay on? If it continues to stay on and not cycle off and on, what might this mean?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    So I picked up one if those DIY kits at Autozone and ended up putting 20oz of freon into the system. First thing I noticed as the freon started to flow was that the compressor came on and stayed on - didn't cut off or "cycle." Is this normal? It's blowing cold today, we'll see tomorrow, but isn't the system supposed to cycle on and off as you drive, rather than stay on? If it continues to stay on and not cycle off and on, what might this mean?
    If it doesn't cycle you either have too much refrigerant or the low pressure switch needs to be adjusted. This is assuming the blower is on speed 4 and the cooling fans are both working and the coils are clean.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    So I picked up one if those DIY kits at Autozone ............
    What does that kit have you do about making the oil compatible for R134?

It will be interesting to see how long it makes cold. In my experience not flushing the system and changing the oil will cause the orifice tube to plug when the old oil turns to black mud. When that happens you won't get cold air.

It will make the high side go very high (it may switch off due to this, but you'd think it was the LP switch) or if you have one of the systems with out the high pressure valve and switch it may just blow a hose open, depending on how much charge you put in.

What are your gauges saying, high and low, as you rev the engine to 2000 rpm or so?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2