FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interest? Reproduction Tool Kit

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Interest? Reproduction Tool Kit

I seem to recall during my time here that there has been occasional (albeit rare) interest in people trying to find the OEM tool kit that was included in the trunk alongside the factory jack. In looking at the actual kit itself, it's relatively simple so I got to thinking about making a reproduction version.

If I decide to go through with this, it would probably be worthwhile to make more than one. I don't NEED to do this as it'd be relatively simple to tuck the appropriate tools away into the emergency kit I already keep in the trunk, but it might be a nice thing to have and I think some others may want one as well. I can't imagine asking any more than $30 to $50 per kit. (Costs are based on me cutting the leather and personally sewing it into the kit pouch, along with including equivalents of the standard tools.)

So would anyone be interested in such a project?
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Sure, that sounds like a deal.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The OEM sets were removed at the QAC's since they did not meet
    the standards set by CR Brown. If the reproduction set included
    better quality tools (even at a slightly higher price) I think there
    may be some interest. It is not worth re-doing with cheap tools.

I fully intend on using quality tools. Definitely not a bulk purchase from Harbor Freight.

Do you have a manufacturer you'd recommend?
    - Chris

what

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think the only reason (most) people would want a factory tool set is originality. After all as mentioned, the tools are not of the best quality, and if you wanted a set of tools to actually USE as tools then you are much better off making your own set. I bet even if a concours car broke down, the owner wouldn't want to scratch up his OE tools.

So if you were to make up a reproduction tool set, would anyone be interested? I think no. The only people who would want an original tool kit wouldn't want them because they are not original. The people who want a tool kit for emergencies would easily find a better, more comprehensive, and cheaper kit at Walmart. If on the other hand DMCH would make a set up, it would probably sell like hotcakes since it would have "some" authenticity behind it.

Sure when you ask the question, there always tons of replies that exclaim "OHH YES!" but once you have put up your investment of money and time and when it comes time to pay up, the majority of those voices fall silent....

Hey the tool kits are finally ready! Who is first on the order list? CHIRP CHIRP

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just offering my opinion.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The only people who would want an original tool kit wouldn't want them because they are not original.
    Yeah, this right here was my worry. I mean really, the first thing I do with any car is put together an emergency kit containing road flares, jumper cables, fix-a-flat, and a handful of tools and parts. This is something really easy (and important) so I had the immediate thought that anyone wanting the stupid-simple original tool kit wouldn't want it for practical reasons, but for originality reasons. And there's no way I can provide that.

On the other hand, there are the set that like to get their hands on something and be able to say "this is just like the kit that originally came with the car." The question is, how big is that market? My guess is, not very. But that's why I made this thread.

Sure when you ask the question, there always tons of replies that exclaim "OHH YES!" but once you have put up your investment of money and time and when it comes time to pay up, the majority of those voices fall silent....
    This was my other worry, and it's definitely a valid one. The only way I can reasonably get around this is to make the kits to-order.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just offering my opinion.
    I appreciate it! Genuinely.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I think the really interesting part of this is the tool roll itself. In a way it may be nothing more than a prop to hold the lug nut wrench. If you are the sort of owner that packs an emergency toolkit, it is pretty soon too large to fit in that cubby at the front of the car. But there is a certain satisfaction to know you have a replica tool kit, even if you reach for your own toolbox most of the time.

And as we love anything with our VIN on it, perhaps a little embossing as well.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I think the really interesting part of this is the tool roll itself. In a way it may be nothing more than a prop to hold the lug nut wrench. If you are the sort of owner that packs an emergency toolkit, it is pretty soon too large to fit in that cubby at the front of the car. But there is a certain satisfaction to know you have a replica tool kit, even if you reach for your own toolbox most of the time.

And as we love anything with our VIN on it, perhaps a little embossing as well.
    If you are trying to reproduce the original tool kit, it is only of value to someone who is going for Concours judging. It is only good for display. That means a very limited market. If you are going to do it for utility then you can make it any way you want. Before going ahead ,the best way to gauge real interest is to make one and then see who will give you a deposit to get one.
    David Teitelbaum

I'm more interested in providing something cool for the community than making money, but it does seem like the potential customer base would be very small. I could always make an upgraded kit with modern, useful tools but at that point most people can just make their own kits.

Oh well. I'll probably make mine just to make it, then.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Do you think you would be able to reproduce the DMC logo like this one?:
    http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid...chmentid=22317

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast