FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: First No Start of the New Year. Help Wanted....

My VIN:    1597

First No Start of the New Year. Help Wanted....

Summer is near which means the Delorean forums are about to get really busy so let me get the stainless steel ball rolling.

Car has been running flawlessly last 3 months or so. Got a good going over back then and spent a week with a well known character who knows these beast. This Friday Drove it 60 miles,stop and go running errands on a warm 90 degree day.Stopped and filled the tank up and drove approx 30 miles. Got home,ate and approx 2 hours later went to leave again.
    Big backfire and now no start. Turns over strong. Battery is fully charged.
    Checks- Fuel pump primes when key is turned "audible". Jumped the relay and it runs "audibly louder." I use Daves's relay but swapped it with a green spare. No start.
    Checked the inertia thinga majiggie.
    Did the wiggle and jiggle,looked at relays,fuses.....
    Did the plug swap trick and it starts but I quickly shut it down before it floods. 2-3 seconds. I can smell the fuel.
    Pulled a plug and its getting a spark.
    Jumped the rpm relay,pulled a injector,pressed the p plate its spraying a fine mist.
    Pulled up the fuel pump "one of Johns" and the filter looks normal.No breakage....
    So it appears to be getting fuel and spark.How much I have no clue and I am not very good at making measurments.
    Ok so now what? Thanks ahead of time. Jim in SC
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

no start

Do you have a turbo? My single turbo backfired, no start. Bruce Benson and I dinked around for an hour before Bruce noticed a turbo hose connection had popped off.
    Stuck it on and varrooom.

Paul Cerny #2691
    Kalispell, MT

No turbo.
    BtW-How are you guys connecting the 2 wires onto that one top right ign resistor? Mine still has the stock black connector that has that brass piece that joins the 2 female connectors. I was just jiggling it and it broke so now I need to get both wires on to that top right male spade on the resistor?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_renuAd3ciI...og_Pic_21b.jpg Not mine but that top right which he has blue.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

If it backfired, then it's definitely getting fuel and is hot, but perhaps isn't getting spark - did you confirm spark with a visual arch when you pulled one of the plugs?

If it started with the plug swap trick, then doesn't that mean that the CSV isn't firing when plugged in normally? CSV gets its instructions from the thermotime switch, although rarely is that the problem. Are you saying that it starts normally doing this and then actually runs until you turn the car off?

Weird given the two completely differing situations that you've described.

I'd first confirm that everything ignition related is hooked up - that you didn't knock anything loose.

Then check the rest pressure on the fuel system, as the fuel pump check value could be faulty, bad accumulator, or bad PPR o-ring - or even a possible combination of these things.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 04-06-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I have ran it without the csv for 5 years with no issue. Its unplugged. I plugged the grey one into it and it fires right up but I quickly shut it down. I dunno if it would keep running since its very rough and I can smell gas and did not want to flood it.

yes,I took a sp out and had someone turn the ign and I saw a good blue arc.

I have no test equip but tapping the p plate it feels like its holding pressure at least 3 hours.

Banned

Check the vacuum connections on the CPR/WUR - sounds like the CPR/WUR isn't allowing enough fuel when cold for a start up.

Idle air motor could also be stuck / gummed up. Pull it and clean it extensively with carb cleaner. Dave M. also likes to add a few drops of 3-in-1 oil after cleaning it before re-installing.

Beyond that, I'm stumped...

Best of luck!

My VIN:    03572

See if it starts cold..

Since it starts with the CSV "plug swapped" I would say your fuel distributor (FD) is not working correctly. First thing I would check is your O-ring in the PPR (primary pressure regulator). If not that then you would need to do a fuel pressure check to help troubleshoot.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Hey good to hear from you again Dave. Remember back ,what 5+ years ago I was chewing up o rings in a matter of minutes and it took 2 Fuel dist before I got lucky with this one. IIRC I still have some of those viton o rings. Well its been a looooong since I messed with the fd and took a o ring out so I need to do a search and refresh my memory. I am notorious for making things worse.

All of this figures. I NEVER do anything special with the car but this Thrs I am hitting the big 5 0 and had plans with the car. Typical Delorean snafu right when you need it to work.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-06-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Hey good to hear from you again Dave. Remember back ,what 5+ years ago I was chewing up o rings in a matter of minutes and it took 2 Fuel dist before I got lucky with this one. IIRC I still have some of those viton o rings. Well its been a looooong since I messed with the fd and took a o ring out so I need to do a search and refresh my memory. I am notorious for making things worse.

All of this figures. I NEVER do anything special with the car but this Thrs I am hitting the big 5 0 and had plans with the car. Typical Delorean snafu right when you need it to work.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...el-Distributer

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast