FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: First No Start of the New Year. Help Wanted....

My VIN:    1597

Well I cannot get the PP regulator nut off and I do not think its ever coming off. I sprayed it with pb blaster but that sucker was not moving. Then 1 slip and now a corner is gone. Cannot get a socket on it because of the clearance. With a 16 box wrench you can only get at it at 2 angles and one just got rounded off. Now I see where a special t put a black something on the threads. so its soft metal,rounded off and got something on the threads. Good grief.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Well I cannot get the PP regulator nut off and I do not think its ever coming off. I sprayed it with pb blaster but that sucker was not moving. Then 1 slip and now a corner is gone. Cannot get a socket on it because of the clearance. With a 16 box wrench you can only get at it at 2 angles and one just got rounded off. Now I see where a special t put a black something on the threads. so its soft metal,rounded off and got something on the threads. Good grief.
    Did you pull the air cleaner off?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Yes.
    Remember back in the day when I went through hell and back with fuel issues during my car's initial teething issues? Not 1,Not 2 but 3 bad FD from a vendor. The current one is #3 which I have never had to fool with. Still we have no clue if the o ring or fd is even the issue but I need to leave that nut alone before it is totally ruined. I understand there are ways and special sockets but this is a very sensitive, fragile nut.
    All I can say is I had a dam good grip on it with a 16mm and I do not think it slipped but the metal corner on the nut gave way.
    I am still thinking its something simple though Dave. Me and mountain man had this car purring and no issues until I parked it. O ring? Plunger stuck.
    Also did you see my earlier post where I want to know how to best connect those 2 wires to the top right resistor.The stock connector that joined the wires broke when I jiggled it.

Yes the nut is soft metal. It does not have to be very tight at all but someone cranked it on. If you can get a good grip with a tool, a rap with a hammer on the tool should break it free.
    Dave M vin 03572

After a long line of curse words some being original, I got the nut off and imo the o ring looks to be a viton and in great shape.
    Next.....

After a long line of curse words some being original, I got the nut off and imo the o ring looks to be a viton and in great shape.
    Next.....
    Does it start cold?
    Dave M vin 03572

Not sure what you mean.
    No troubles in 3-6 months....Then a few days ago I did a lot of stop and go errands and the temps that day hit 90. Filled up,drove another 30 miles home.2-3 hrs later the car would not start. And has not started since....

If you mean does the car like the cold. YES..... Never had the csv hooked up and the car starts first tuen even on the coldest of days.Always has loved winter and HATES summer. I have always had hotstart issues and msc gremlins during the summer.... Hope none of this leads to the accululator cuz I have been reading up on it and it sounds like a PITA.....I am on back surgery 3 and doubt I could do it no matter how motivated.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-06-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Dmctalk

This is what DMCTALK is about, people helping people. Good show guys!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Not sure what you mean.
    No troubles in 3-6 months....Then a few days ago I did a lot of stop and go errands and the temps that day hit 90. Filled up,drove another 30 miles home.2-3 hrs later the car would not start. And has not started since....

If you mean does the car like the cold. YES..... Never had the csv hooked up and the car starts first tuen even on the coldest of days.Always has loved winter and HATES summer. I have always had hotstart issues and msc gremlins during the summer.... Hope none of this leads to the accululator cuz I have been reading up on it and it sounds like a PITA.....I am on back surgery 3 and doubt I could do it no matter how motivated.
    Cold starts = engine coolant temperature below 95F (35C)
    Hot starts = engine coolant temperature 95F or above (35C or above)

Accumulator would affect hot starts, but cold starts - not so much.

You described a backfire condition earlier, as well as an injection check, which leads me to believe that you're getting fuel, but perhaps not enough or too much. And you've confirmed that you're getting spark, so ignition shouldn't be the problem either. A plug swap starts the car, suggesting that without the CSV firing, you're not getting quite enough fuel to start the car when the engine is cold, but enough to flood out the engine and cause a backfire situation after several unsuccessful crankings.

I'm still suspecting a CPR/WUR issue - check the vacuum hoses and check the electrical connections. Also check the fuel lines running in/out of the CPR/WUR for blockage on both ends - at the CPR/WUR and the FD. Also not a bad idea to pull the idle air motor and clean it if you haven't, as it could be gummed up / stuck, and not allowing sufficient air into the mixture.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 04-06-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks.Yeah its been mid 60s all day so thats the eng temp.
    You did a good job describing whats going on so I will do just that Monday.
    Also, I posted earlier in the thread but I need some advice. While checking the resistor connectors the top right one that has 2 wires attached to it came apart. It had the stock black plastic cover with the brass piece that went slipped into the 2nd wire so both could connect to the resistor. I need to either make a connector or buy another.Any ideas?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_renuAd3ciI...og_Pic_21b.jpg Not mine but its the top right "blue" I need to make up.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast