FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: First No Start of the New Year. Help Wanted....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Did you straighten out those two wires? (I emailed you a pic yesterday.)

My VIN:    1597

Hey,I never got a email. Figured you were busy this weekend.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Thanks.Yeah its been mid 60s all day so thats the eng temp.
    You did a good job describing whats going on so I will do just that Monday.
    Also, I posted earlier in the thread but I need some advice. While checking the resistor connectors the top right one that has 2 wires attached to it came apart. It had the stock black plastic cover with the brass piece that went slipped into the 2nd wire so both could connect to the resistor. I need to either make a connector or buy another.Any ideas?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_renuAd3ciI...og_Pic_21b.jpg Not mine but its the top right "blue" I need to make up.
    Not understanding exactly what broke, but those are all just standard crimp on female spade connectors. If you're saying that the little brass 'y' adapter broke, I'd personally just eliminate it by simply putting both wires into the single spade connector, as opposed to having two hang off that resistor end - a blue should give you enough room, but if you find the the fit tight, you could up it to a yellow. The black plastic cover thing is of no consequence - in fact, I kind of hate those things...

Never to busy for you bro! ;-)
    I suspect the reason it is not starting is that the ground supply wire came off of the block somehow. Then, when you fixed that, you knocked the ground wire off of the engine bay light switch and put it on the ballast resistor prong that sticks straight out, a dead short. That is how you let the smoke out of it. It probably didn't hurt anything else, but it could.
    Check your email again and look at the pic. You have my number ;-)

EDIT: Fix this and then get back on the fuel. Post up here..a lot of good ideas w/o the BS so far
    Last edited by Ron; 04-06-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Never to busy for you bro! ;-)
    I suspect the reason it is not starting is that the ground supply wire came off of the block somehow. Then, when you fixed that, you knocked the ground wire off of the engine bay light switch and put it on the ballast resistor prong that sticks straight out, a dead short. That is how you let the smoke out of it. It probably didn't hurt anything else, but it could.
    Check your email again and look at the pic. You have my number ;-)

EDIT: Fix this and then get back on the fuel. Post up here..a lot of good ideas w/o the BS so far
    Ron is working with some additional info than was originally described in the thread, so go with his suggestions!

No BS - this is a DeLorean forum isn't it? Something strange is going on here!

Na Na I am entitled to one really stupid screw up on the D. This was done AFTER the car would not start. However I have no shame so here is what I did. I was checking the resistor connectors and saw a pair of black wires that went to a female connector covered by that stock black plastic cover. It was right below the resistor as if it had fallen off so I hooked it to the resistor.Well guess what? It dont go there Burned up the black wires and did some damage to the 1st inch or so of the yellow and blue connected to the resistor that goes to the relay mounted on the firewall behind the drivers head.

So now we know the rest of the story. The 2 wires that connect to the top right of the resistor I broke earlier today when again testing connections. Again done AFTER the car would not start.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Ron is working with some additional info than was originally described in the thread, so go with his suggestions!

No BS - this is a DeLorean forum isn't it? Something strange is going on here!
    Hell, I didn't know we were trying to get back to square one... lol
    He needs to hook up the resistor and see if he still has spark to get there (...and make sure there is smoke left in the relay).

Jim => "Now that's some Bulllll Shit!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Na Na I am entitled to one really stupid screw up on the D. This was done AFTER the car would not start. However I have no shame so here is what I did. I was checking the resistor connectors and saw a pair of black wires that went to a female connector covered by that stock black plastic cover. It was right below the resistor as if it had fallen off so I hooked it to the resistor.Well guess what? It dont go there Burned up the black wires and did some damage to the 1st inch or so of the yellow and blue connected to the resistor that goes to the relay mounted on the firewall behind the drivers head.

So now we know the rest of the story. The 2 wires that connect to the top right of the resistor I broke earlier today when again testing connections. Again done AFTER the car would not start.
    Gotcha! If that's the worst mistake that you commit, then you're doing pretty good IMHO

I'm guessing that you confirmed spark at the plugs while cranking after this incident occurred, yes? If not, then you really need to first and foremost, as Ron stated above

Just a update for future generations and those helping me.
    I redid the connectors to the resistor. Pulled a plug and imo the spark looked weak. I am no spark expert but it was not one of those "oh crap turn it off" blue crackling sparks. More like a static discharge,yellowish clear spark.

ok on to the next step... Sprayed a 1-2 second squirt of starter fluid and the engine immediatly started and ran 3 seconds and then shut off.
    And as a reminder. I have pulled a injector earlier and it was spraying a nice mist so the engine appears to be getting fuel.

So thats where I am. Got some spark,engine started using fluid.....

My VIN:    03572

Have you tried stepping on the gas when you start it. Just asking because I never have to do that.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast