FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: help for a complete Delorean newbie trying to spend between $35k-$48k

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

great stuff

all great advice.

I loved the analogy of the 50 year old women. Although, after they have had more cosmetic work done, they are usually more fun to drive. Wait..am I talking about cars? hmm.

I agree on the value of the stage 2. I think the total cost is about $6k...and I figured if it was getting a rebuild, might as well do it right. I have a friend that had one done by dmc texas and he really likes it much more than without it. I recognize that it doesn't add a ton of value, if any.

I'd love to find a great shape private car and spend the money as I go. I saw dracula's sold a few weeks ago. that would have been perfect. But, I was a little late to the hunt.

I've seen a few for sale, but they were all pretty rough. $25k for one with not much maintenance and loads of oil leaks. I've been keeping my eyes open, but haven't seen anything. If anybody knows of anything, let me know.

And thanks for the offers to check out the car and all the advice. forums like this are what makes owning something like this worthwhile. If any of you ever need any homebuilding or pool building advice, please don't hesitate to reach out to me!

I guess it comes down to that I spend $45k for probably more than I really need and more than I'll be able to get at resale some day OR I wait to find something nice in the $20-$25k range and then put some money in it to make it what I want. I might end up spending $10k less this way...but I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with the hassles. I was looking at josh or dmc as a turnkey, simple (albeit more expensive) solution.

Here is an idea...how about one of you sell me your well maintained car and then you get the joy of starting another project!

tony

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I read and see everything

I would go off publicly in detail regarding the remarks made by DMC affiliates and our superior products. That won't solve anything so lets stick with facts. Face it their days are numbered and they are getting desperate. Our superior design, reliability and car manufacturing are winning out. It was a up hill battle but owners not sucked in by a company wrongly using a name understand true quality. It's only a matter of time before no one will even consider using NOS consumables.

The nice thing about our builds is the use of superior parts. What is mentioned above as "knock off" is nothing of the sort.

You purchase a car from dmcf everything is original 30 year old parts.

You purchase a built to order car from us. Here is a basic sampling of the new engineered products installed standard on everything we build. From dmc they will be stock used or NOS mild steel.

stainless upper and lower control arms front and rear
    stainless flexible fuel lines in engine compartment
    stainless hard lines on frame
    stainless brake hard lines
    stainless fan shroud with low amp high flow fans
    full stainless exhaust
    performance camshafts
    all engine gaskets manufactured from modern sealing solutions preventing costly short term leaks with NOS gaskets
    aeroquip low profile A/C lines (leaps and bounds ahead of the technology from the early 80's)

I could go on and on about this but there is really no point. I have engineered and developed a better build process compared to DMC. Hands down you can't match the value or quality of upgrading flawed components.

Houston build cars do not hold their value due to deterioration with use. I would state recent examples but salt in previous owners wounds isn't fair on here. Ours do because we build in longevity with modern solutions, coatings and manufactured components etc.

That is a fair analysis without attacking with comments such as "knock off" etc. Everything above is based on facts.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    3060

Josh,

Now all you have to do is open a franchise on the west coast. Then you could spread the love out here.

Already in the works. I have the right people line up for it as well. That is everything in the equation. I can throw as much money as I want towards a goal but with the wrong people it is mute.

Once we finish testing of our full stainless chassis I will personally spear head our push out west. Things you will see in the coming months:

-over 300 new stainless parts
    -stainless rolling chassis options
    -full interactive website allowing for owners to build cars from scratch piece by piece
    -west coast domination which is already going strong with the massive influx of cars being shipped to our Ohio location.
    -and enough other surprises to keep owners smiling for years to come.

Remember: I am younger than everyone else in this business and have nothing but determination, funding and time.

My VIN:    4519

I saw pics of that dude's car that DPI Josh finished recently....looks pretty badass.

My VIN:    5757

How about a New England location??

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Already in the works. I have the right people line up for it as well. That is everything in the equation. I can throw as much money as I want towards a goal but with the wrong people it is mute.

Once we finish testing of our full stainless chassis I will personally spear head our push out west. Things you will see in the coming months:

-full interactive website allowing for owners to build cars from scratch piece by piece
    -west coast domination which is already going strong with the massive influx of cars being shipped to our Ohio location.

Remember: I am younger than everyone else in this business and have nothing but determination, funding and time.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I read and see everything

I would go off publicly in detail regarding the remarks made by DMC affiliates and our superior products. That won't solve anything so lets stick with facts. Face it their days are numbered and they are getting desperate. Our superior design, reliability and car manufacturing are winning out. It was a up hill battle but owners not sucked in by a company wrongly using a name understand true quality. It's only a matter of time before no one will even consider using NOS consumables.

The nice thing about our builds is the use of superior parts. What is mentioned above as "knock off" is nothing of the sort.

You purchase a car from dmcf everything is original 30 year old parts.

You purchase a built to order car from us. Here is a basic sampling of the new engineered products installed standard on everything we build. From dmc they will be stock used or NOS mild steel.

stainless upper and lower control arms front and rear
    stainless flexible fuel lines in engine compartment
    stainless hard lines on frame
    stainless brake hard lines
    stainless fan shroud with low amp high flow fans
    full stainless exhaust
    performance camshafts
    all engine gaskets manufactured from modern sealing solutions preventing costly short term leaks with NOS gaskets
    aeroquip low profile A/C lines (leaps and bounds ahead of the technology from the early 80's)

I could go on and on about this but there is really no point. I have engineered and developed a better build process compared to DMC. Hands down you can't match the value or quality of upgrading flawed components.

Houston build cars do not hold their value due to deterioration with use. I would state recent examples but salt in previous owners wounds isn't fair on here. Ours do because we build in longevity with modern solutions, coatings and manufactured components etc.

That is a fair analysis without attacking with comments such as "knock off" etc. Everything above is based on facts.
    DPI's products are undoubtedly fantastic, and Josh is a great salesman, but I don't think that Josh's assertions about the value of DMC-X in the DeLorean marketplace is very fair or accurate.

As for the improved/redesigned parts mentioned, I'm not sure of what value/consequence that all that would have on a car where the intention is to use the car as a weekend/show/fun car. My car is 99.8% exactly as it left Dunmurry, right down to the door struts, and I don't have any issues using it as a weekend/show/fun/vacation car without all the wonderful upgrades/modifications/redesigns. I also know that a lot of people think that I'm nuts for running the original plastic header bottle, original factory belts, original fuel lines, original hoses, Ducey alternator, plastic tanked radiator, etc - and will even drive it on the 33 year old Goodyear NCTs. And yet, other than a fuel line blowout that was of my own fault/doing, my car has never left me stranded over 10,000+ miles. Proper care/upkeep/maintenance of the original stock/OEM equipment is just as good as all the wonderful redesigns/upgraded/modified parts for how a majority of owners actually use their cars, IMHO.

That's not to say that I don't think that what Josh is doing is great - I love his passion/commitment/dedication, what he's doing, and the products that he's turning out. Only that it's not really necessary for a lot of owners and how they actually use their cars.

As the OP expressed his intended use as being for occasional/light weekend/show/fun purposes, I don't see of what value/gain/benefit he'll receive by replacing a lot of properly maintained original components with upgraded/modified parts. But that's just MHO, premised on actual experience and decades of observation.

As far as the value of a modified vehicle goes, it's all about what market one is targeting. Properly done resto-mods can command as much money as a concours car does, but, traditionally/conventionally speaking, the market is a lot smaller for restro-mods than original cars. Does that traditional/conventional wisdom hold true for DeLoreans - to a certain degree yes, but there are admittedly a lot of unique factors/forces that affect the DeLorean market in ways that sometimes go against that traditional/conventional wisdom.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

What happened to the sand cast redesigned PRV heads and intake performance upgrades that you were working on - did they ever come to fruition?

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    What happened to the sand cast redesigned PRV heads and intake performance upgrades that you were working on - did they ever come to fruition?
    Went down that path. Made great improvements and decided that the price I would need to command wasn't feasible within the community. Instead we revamped with spec I being cams and exhaust, spec II being twin turbo to simplify things.

You are correct. I was a bit harsh on showing the differences. I think for the foreseeable future there will be a demand for both of our options in one capacity or another. But the righting is on the wall. People hate replacing parts again and again and again. I like to fix it and forget it.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by acaciolo View Post
    .how about one of you sell me your well maintained car and then you get the joy of starting another project!

tony
    If you're interested in a low VIN auto with new paint, new black leather, grooved, flapped, 160 speedometer ect., check it out in my albums.
    If you want it before I finish repairing a rock dent in a quarter panel, I can let you have it well below the prices I'm seeing here as I recently found a manual to restore next.
    PM me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast