FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

Hello everyone,
    I have come across a company that manufactures high performance and high quality gas struts. I am talking with them about the possibility of manufacturing a small batch of new door struts for us. The details are:
    The strut will be the same length both collapsed and extended as the original Stabilus struts. They will have full dampening at the end of stroke to prevent door bounce. They will have the same force as original struts - no sagging doors. They have temperature compensation built in which means that cold weather should not affect the force as much as it does in the case of regular gas struts. This doesn't mean that it will maintain the same opening force in extremely cold weather but the effect should be minimized. They come with full 2 year replacement warranty against defects in manufacturing and materials.
    We can have the struts in two flavors:
    1. Powder coated black cylinder with black nitrate coated piston.
    2. Brushed 304 stainless cylinder with chrome coated piston.

If we can get enough people interested the prices will be:
    For black/black gas struts: $30 each or $50 for a set of two with free shipping
    For 304/chrome gas struts: $80 each or $150 for a set of two with free shipping

Please let me know if this idea is worth pursuing. In my opinion the price is very good and the full 2 year replacement warranty is a very good insurance.

Anyone interested?
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

I will be interested by the Brushed 304 stainless cylinder with chrome coated piston.
    I think it could match the stainless body perfectly.
    Do you have a picture of what they already done?

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    I will be interested by the Brushed 304 stainless cylinder with chrome coated piston.
    I think it could match the stainless body perfectly.
    Do you have a picture of what they already done?
    No pictures yet. I will be receiving a set of their struts for testing soon but it will be the regular black set. For the stainless one I would have to pay for the setup which is a bit expensive if you order just one set. They're willing to manufacture one black set a lot cheaper. I've seen the struts they make and they look very nice. The stainless ones look just like body of our cars but finer. When placing an order I can specify how fine the finish will be. I can tell them to use 60 grit sandpaper equivalent to match the DeLorean.
    I will post pictures as soon as I receive the first set. If my tests confirm their quality and fit we can go ahead with the order. I just need as many orders as possible to get a lower price. The prices quoted above are for 30 sets.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Ok thanks, let's hope to be able to reach the 30

My VIN:    First 700

The stainless ones sound good to me. How long will it take to get them made?

My VIN:    01955

I'll be interested in a black pair.

But shipping to Australia, will extra shipping charges be needed?

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Count me in for a black set.
    - Chris

what

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I they work better then the I last ones I got from DMCF, I might be interested in a stainless pair.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

I will answer the above questions in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    The stainless ones sound good to me. How long will it take to get them made?
    Black on black require about 4 weeks lead time.
    Stainless on chrome require about 8 weeks lead time.

The first set ordered for testing should arrive in about two weeks. I will need a good few days to test them thoroughly to make sure everything is as it should.
    Realistically I would say that we're looking at about two months for black and three months for stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    I'll be interested in a black pair.

But shipping to Australia, will extra shipping charges be needed?
    NO! Shipping is free regardless of where you live. I feel that this is fair for everyone. I don't discriminate anyone... it doesn't matter where you live and how far away it is from me.

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I they work better then the I last ones I got from DMCF, I might be interested in a stainless pair.

George
    George, I can't say anything about any struts available now and so I will not be able to compare them to anything else but Stabilus. These I know and I know how they perform. With properly set torsion bars the doors should glide all the way to the top on their own then slow down just before fully open. There might be one slight bounce at the top as the strut reaches the end of its travel. The door can't pull your arm off when you try to close it and it can't bounce at the top shaking the whole car and ripping the door off it's hinges. It needs to work right and I will not place my order unless I know they are perfect. Some of you might know that I'm a perfectionist and anything less than perfect is not acceptable. I will really make sure the struts are really good. I'd rather post saying that I'm sorry but it didn't work out than offer something of poor quality. With my 6 DeLoreans testing the struts will be easy. I have 12 DeLorean doors in different conditions with different torsion bars... I'd say I have the means to test them out. Since this is a manufacturer I'm talking with they will be able to adjust and change the parameters until we get them as close to perfect as possible. Fair enough?
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    1776

I would be in for a black pair.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast