FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

Banned

My VIN:    1798

John has always offered Stabilus struts via his website, however, they were always previously listed with the caveat/disclaimer "only when available," suggesting that they were not something that he regularly stocked or could even regularly obtain.

The part that I find most interesting is in his timing of deciding to main page headline them shortly after Tom makes his announcement about making a deal with Stabilus to run some DeLorean specific door struts.

Not sure what Hervey is actually selling in regards to his Stabilus struts, and if you call to ask him, I'm pretty sure that you'll just get the regular old story about how he has sold 50,000 pairs of them over his lifetime, 2,000 pairs last week alone, and never had a single complaint about them from anyone, without receiving an actual answer to the question you asked.

Again, it will be interesting to hear Tom's assessment of the situation....

My VIN:    16409

It's interesting in the wording he uses. He says newly updated "Stabilus Soft Lift" door struts. His "soft loft" struts were not Stabilus, so it's weird he is using that name in combination with Sabilus now.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

I am aware of his offer as he has posted about this on the DML a few days ago. I've asked him a few questions but they remain unanswered...
    When I read his post on the DML I have contacted Stabilus to find out why they told me they will not be making them and then agreed only because my order came from Poland and not the US and only if I don't sell them to a specific vendor in the US. I asked them how is it that they are making and shipping those struts to the US while telling me another story. Their answer was that they are NOT making anything that fits our length and force requirements. The next day I received an email confirming that Stabilus in NOT making anything that would fit our cars. There was also a note stating that this information is confirmed and final.
    The fact is that if they were making something that would fit the DeLorean exactly I wouldn't have to go through the entire design and testing process. They would simply grab the specs from their computer and be done with it. In our case the designs were destroyed and deleted from their system as the original part number was marked "do not produce". In order to have them made I needed to start from scratch...
    Here's a design drawing that had to be made (I have deleted some info like my part number):

My opinion... Chinese manufacturers will print any logo if your order is large enough.

My feelings... I don't like what John did. He noticed that I'm running behind because of the bad manufacturer I've come accross and noticed that there's a lot of interest in the struts. So, apparently he ordered another batch of the struts he already had but this time with Stabilus logo on them. In my opinion this was very unprofessional and just plain not nice. But... apparently there's no such thing as nice when it comes to a business deal. In my case making DeLorean parts is like a hobby, something that I really enjoy and not a way to make a living. I usually make something for my own car and if there's interest I make more of it and offer it for sale. Then there's that thing about being nice to others... a while back I was making stainless steel pistons for my brake calipers. I called John and asked him about it. He said that he is making them and so I backed out as not to compete with him because he asked me no to. Apparently I don't understand the basic rules of "good" business...

I am still going ahead with the production and I will offer my door struts as soon as I can. I will not rush things trying to beat anyone and I will not go with the cheapest manufacturer. I will offer a high quality product that I can be proud of. Oh, and please remember that my prices ALWAYS include the shipping costs.

One more thing I'd like to add:
    When I was getting quotes from different manufacturers I have received VERY similar numbers across the board. There were exceptions - China was a lot cheaper. Stabilus was the most expensive one. John is offering the door struts at $56.90 (pair) which is $28.45 each. The break points for manufacturer quotes are for orders of 100, 250, 500 and 1000 units. Stabilus price at 1000 units is HIGHER than that! Shipping from the factory is additional. So, this price is simply not possible unless John has ordered 10,000 units and they were made in Mexico. Shipping from Germany would be expensive and you have to take duty and taxes into account!
    Last edited by Tomcio; 08-19-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by PB Co View Post
    Besides offering high quality DeLorean specific products you are also mending OEM relationships? Amazing.

In for a set in the original colors.
    I do my best

I've added your name to my pre-order list. I will let you know when they become available.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Very interesting - thanks for the info Tom

I'm still in with you, but won't be ready to order until later this year or early next year.

My VIN:    16409

Tom, I didn't mention in my other posts, but I am in for a pair of your authentic German made Stabilus door struts.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    6125

Tom, I appreciate the detailed explanation as I'm sure many others do. Thanks for keeping us well informed of the situation.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

All very interesting, perhaps I have fake ones then! I will have to go and get some part numbers from them, If I can remove the stickers! However I too will be interested in replacing the door ones with OEM when they are required, at the moment though Harveys are fine.
    Chris
    Last edited by chris williams; 08-20-2014 at 03:56 AM.
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    03572

You may not want the struts specified the same as original if they now have "soft lift" operation. I would think a little more force would make them last longer since the soft lift prevents bounce.

It's also interesting John now has soft lift for all the struts. I don't see the need of soft lift on the others but again specifying more force would make them last longer.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I am in for a pair of your authentic German made Stabilus door struts.
    Same here, mine could do with a replacement.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast