FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Ladies and gentleman, update time...

I've received my first set of Stabilus door struts made to my specification. They came directly from Germany and I have to say that those guys really know how to make those gas springs... Ja!
    Here's a few pictures:

Sorry, but I had to obscure the part number for obvious reasons. This red rectangle is just a photoshop addition.

The sticker visible below shows my order number and serial number of the strut. That's correct, each strut has it's own serial number.

05s.jpg

There's one thing that needs to be tweaked a little before they go into actual production. The damping at the end of travel is too short for my liking. I like the doors to slow down and stop gently. At this time this slow down is very short and it will be extended slightly. This is not a huge change, just a very small adjustment. Once we calculate the actual values needed the struts will go into production.

That's all for now...
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks for the update

Two questions:
    1) Is my pre-order for one pair of stainless struts on your list? Can't find any emails I sent you about it, but I could've sworn I sent one

2) Are you making hood and louver struts as well? If so, I have more pre-orders for you

Either way, add a pre-order of black OEM-looking door struts to your list. Although I do not know quite yet, I suspect my second D's struts are shot, and I'd like to keep it concours.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    1) Is my pre-order for one pair of stainless struts on your list? Can't find any emails I sent you about it, but I could've sworn I sent one
    I don't believe that you have as I can't find one either. Not to worry though, I've added your name to my list. There's still time to get on

2) Are you making hood and louver struts as well? If so, I have more pre-orders for you
    Yes, I will have full sets available.
    The hood and louver struts are easy to make. It's the door struts that are the most difficult to get right.

Either way, add a pre-order of black OEM-looking door struts to your list. Although I do not know quite yet, I suspect my second D's struts are shot, and I'd like to keep it concours.
    Do you want two sets then? A stainless set and a OEM set? No problem, you got it!
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    The hood and louver struts are easy to make. It's the door struts that are the most difficult to get right.

Put me down for 1 pair stainless hood struts, 1 pair black OEM hood struts, and 1 pair black OEM louver struts. I'd go with a pair of stainless for 559's louvers, but the extra weight of the BTTF vents requires a more heavy-duty strut to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post

Put me down for 1 pair stainless hood struts, 1 pair black OEM hood struts, and 1 pair black OEM louver struts. I'd go with a pair of stainless for 559's louvers, but the extra weight of the BTTF vents requires a more heavy-duty strut to support it.
    I can special order a set for you if you can tell me how strong the struts needs to be. If you can figure that out we can make it happen.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    I can special order a set for you if you can tell me how strong the struts needs to be. If you can figure that out we can make it happen.
    Welllllll on second thought

I'll get with DPI Josh to see if he can do some load testing or something. He gave me a number before, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was or even what unit it was in. This'll be perfect! So one stainless pair for all three locations, and one OEM black pair for all three locations. Deal!

Hello everyone,

Another of the manufacturers that I'm talking to has sent me a nice quality set of door struts. This is just a couple of sample units but they are pretty nice I must say. I've uploaded a short clip showing how they work. I apologize for the quality of this clip but my Nexus 4 that is capable of full HD video decided to die on me. While LG is trying to fix it I had to resort to some old phone I had in my drawer.
    The video is available here:
    http://youtu.be/7dw0cbKj8Vs

The struts are made in Sweden.

Anyone interested?
    I can take some pictures tomorrow if anyone wants to see them up close.

The are very nice, the movement of the door is not too fast with a nice slowdown at the top and no bounce. The struts are all black.
    Currently we're looking at about $40 - $45 each with free worldwide shipping. Keep in mind that this is not some cheap strut made in China or Mexico, this is a quality product made in Europe.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    03572

Those Sweden struts look good. I'm willing to try them instead of the other struts. I'm looking for the longest life with the "soft lift" so the name brand does not matter to me.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

+1 on looking for the longest life.

-1 on all pre-ordered sets of black OEM struts, but one full car's worth of Stainless is still a go!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast