FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

Yep interested....

My VIN:    16409

Tom, do you have an update for us?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Tom, let me just say: Awesome work.

I've got a lazy strut on the passenger door, i might be in for a new set soon! Keep me updated please.

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Hello everyone,

It's been a while... Sorry about not posting any updates but I'm having some health issues and that keeps me busy recently. Going from one doctor to another trying to figure out what is going on... Anyway...

The latest news is that the struts have been ordered and all we can do now is wait. Stabilus has some long lead times at their factory so I will be offering some other options first. I will post updates when new info becomes available.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    5312

Hey I am interested! In the chrome and SS ones!

Update time!

Hello everyone,

Things are progressing sloooooowly. Unfortunately there's not much we can do but wait. Lead times at the factory are horrible.

The current standing is:
    Black Stabilus struts - I am currently waiting for the delivery of the final version. I want to make sure that the struts are EXACTLY what we need and so I have decided to order another test set. All seems to be correct now and as soon as this set arrives I will confirm the operation and will go ahead with the full production run.
    Believe me that this is not as easy as it might seem. Dimensions are one thing. Then there is the force and that seems like it's all we need to know. As it turns out we need to figure out a few more parameters like extension speed, damping amount, damping length, force progression and so on. And the problem is that Stabilus charges an arm-and-a-leg for those test units. Yeah, they are not free...
    I will also receive a full set of hood and louver struts. Now, these I will HIGHLY recommend you get. Those will be made a little different than regular gas struts and will offer much nicer operation. More on that when the test set arrives.

Stainless struts - Last test set has arrived and I have confirmed it's operation to be just perfect. I am ready to place a full order now. The question to anyone interested is: Will you be interested in hood and louver stainless struts as well?

Prices for 304 stainless struts are:
    door: $89 each
    hood: $85 each
    louver: $75 each

Should we go ahead with the stainless struts at current prices? Those prices do not include shipping. I will figure out the best way to ship them once I know the exact weight of the package.
    There is a minimum order and I need everyone to confirm their order for the stainless struts. I also need to know if you want just the door or a full set of 6.
    You can post in reply to this message. I'm not too crazy about the private messages on this forum.

No need to confirm if you only want a black Stabilus set. I'm still waiting for those.

Thanks
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Sure, I will go for a full set of stainless struts.

Well... I'm sorry to say this but the 'overwhelming' response (just one person interested) causes me to call the Stainless struts project dead. The minimum order is 100 pcs of each type which makes 50 sets.

I will keep working on getting the black struts made and will update with any new information.

Thank you.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Hello all!

I'm refreshing this old thread to see if there is still interest for new gas springs aka. struts.

I've had some mixed results with the well known Stabilus struts over the years and it's time to switch to something better. Stabilus has moved their production facility to Mexico and after some extended talks with them I've decided that it is a dead end. They are concerned more about quantity than quality these days. Oh well...

I'm currently talking with a manufacturer in Sweden that supplies many European car and truck manufacturers. We can get high quality gas springs at reasonable prices.
    The gas struts would be all black.
    All springs are custom DeLorean products.
    Door - DeLorean specified 1200 Newton force with damping to slow down before full extension
    Hood and louver - New and improved design, amazing results - with gentle and gradual stop at the end of travel.

The prices would be:
    Door: $60 for a set of two with free shipping
    Hood: $60 for a set of two with free shipping
    Louver: $60 for a set of two with free shipping

Full set of six (2 door, 2 hood, 2 louver): $160 with free shipping

If there is enough interest I will order a sample set to make sure we got all the dimensions right.

Let me know is you're interested!

Guys, I am back now and not going anywhere
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    Hello all!

I'm refreshing this old thread to see if there is still interest for new gas springs aka. struts.

I've had some mixed results with the well known Stabilus struts over the years and it's time to switch to something better. Stabilus has moved their production facility to Mexico and after some extended talks with them I've decided that it is a dead end. They are concerned more about quantity than quality these days. Oh well...

I'm currently talking with a manufacturer in Sweden that supplies many European car and truck manufacturers. We can get high quality gas springs at reasonable prices.
    The gas struts would be all black.
    All springs are custom DeLorean products.
    Door - DeLorean specified 1200 Newton force with damping to slow down before full extension
    Hood and louver - New and improved design, amazing results - with gentle and gradual stop at the end of travel.

The prices would be:
    Door: $60 for a set of two with free shipping
    Hood: $60 for a set of two with free shipping
    Louver: $60 for a set of two with free shipping

Full set of six (2 door, 2 hood, 2 louver): $160 with free shipping

If there is enough interest I will order a sample set to make sure we got all the dimensions right.

Let me know is you're interested!

Guys, I am back now and not going anywhere
    Interested!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast