FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

My VIN:    16409

I'll take a pair of the black struts.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

OK. I have to admit that I didn't expect the response to be so great. I'm glad! I was afraid I'm going to have a hard time getting 20 orders but it seems we can easily reach 30! Yeah!
    For now we just have to wait. I will post again as soon as I receive the first test set which should be within two weeks. I will post lots of pictures and comments... stand by...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I'll go for a black set. It would be nice too if they could keep the sticker small or make it removable with damaging the finish.
    I asked them not to put any stickers on the struts. I will have to include something that will tell you where the struts come from and a serial number for warranty purpose. I'll make sure the lettering is small and only on one side of the strut so you'll be able to install it so it's not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In for a set of black.

The last pair I installed only lasted about 2 years before the doors started sagging.
    Mark, I will not be able to tell you how long these struts will last unless you'd like to wait two to three years while I do the testing. Seriously though, the struts come with two year warranty so we should be covered. Even if they loose their strength over time I don't really mind replacing them every three years or so... at this price I can live with it. No gas strut will last forever.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    #10213

I'd take a black set please....

Stephen

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Hi
    Yes ill take a black pair to please
    Thanks
    Shane

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Is it too late to get in on the action?
    If not, I'm in for a black set.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Black for me too!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Is it too late to get in on the action?
    It's not too late. Actually it's going to be a while before I'm ready to start shipping them out.
    I have ordered a test set recently and was told it will take about two weeks to have those made and delivered to me. After a few days of testing (if everything works out good) I will place an order. The lead time at the manufacturer is 4 weeks.
    There's plenty of time to save up for a set of new door struts
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

I would interested in a set of stainless!
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Put me down for a set of the black if everything tests out good on the prototypes!

I have received a few questions from people interested in getting the new gas struts. I have forwarded those questions to the manufacturer and here’s what they say:

Q: What is the shelf life of those gas struts?
    A: We do not recommend storing the gas struts for any extended periods of time. Maximum recommended storage time is 6 months. During this time the piston should be moved through it’s entire travel at least once per month to keep the internal parts lubricated. There should be no loss in pressure during this time.

Q: How should the struts be stored?
    A: Gas struts can be stored in a cool and dry place. Extreme temperatures should be avoided. Position of the strut has no effect on it’s longevity as long as it is cycled every once in a while.

Q: What is the expected life of a door gas strut?
    A: Every gas strut is guaranteed for 30,000 cycles and two years. This is a normal expected life span and at that time the strut is considered to have reached it’s end-of-life and should be replaced. YMMV, but this is the normal life cycle.

Q: Does it matter if the strut is mounted horizontally when the door is closed?
    A: Horizontal rest position has no effect on the longevity of the gas strut. Every time the strut is used all internal components get lubricated. It is thus recommended the struts are used even when stored.

Q: Can the service life be extended?
    A: A special double seal can be ordered but total stroke will be shortened.
    I can try and design a new strut with double seals to make them last longer. Keep in mind that the door will not go up all the way. I don’t know by how much though. I’ll find out some more details when I receive the first test set.

There was another question from someone interested in the stainless struts about having them clear coated to prevent fingerprints. The answer to that question is:
    We can apply clear powder coating to stainless gas struts for a small fee. The total cost depends on the number of struts ordered and will be calculated at the time of order.

I hope this answers your questions. If there’s anything else you’d like to ask please feel free to do so. I recommend posting all questions to the list/forum so everyone sees my replies.

Thank you
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast