FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Simple/honest question about that and not trying to start a fight or troll with you or anyone else in the carb room here. What customer service attempts have been made to correct this for you? Obviously you are dealing with an individual and not an official business entity, and this very situation is something that has concerned me for some time.
    PM Sent...
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
    PM Sent...
    Thank you!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

[admin edit]flames put out[/admin edit]
    For the morbidly curious, while I have been erased from existence, I helped two owners convert to carburetion (and helped them install ground buses), started working with two more owners, and modified #2508's trailing arms to accept the strongest bolts readily available retail -- even stronger than bolts sold by any of the vendors.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Welcome back, Bill.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Nothing witty here lest it offend

He has returned! Good to hear from you. Any stories to tell about the conversions? What condition were the cars? Massive neglect?

What up B-Money!!? It hasn't been the same without you! Steve has been trying his damndest to keep your seat warm, but aaahh well.. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!!!

Yes....welcome back.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    He has returned! Good to hear from you. Any stories to tell about the conversions? What condition were the cars? Massive neglect?
    Here's the story on one of Bill's conversion. I found a D in a field several years ago. It took a while to find someone who knew about the car. I just glanced at it and noted a pristine grooved, gas flapped hood and a nice drivers side front quarter panel so I figured it was worth a few thousand at least. I was already restoring another D so I decided to buy that one for parts.

The car had a collapsed fuel system for sure as the gas tank was out of the car, the fuel pump boot was over 50% melted away, and the engine compartment had that smell. So I raided a lot of parts off of it for my other D. One day I noticed that the parts D was actually in better shape in a lot of ways than my main project and I was wondering what the condition of the engine, auto transmission, and other major systems might be. I absolutely did not want to buy a complete KJet rebuild for a car that might not even be reasonably restored so I thought about one of the first things I heard Bill say. Carbing is a quick, less expensive, easy way to get a car running and drivable as you evaluate and work on the rest. And you can go back to KJet for the cost of a new throttle cable.

Another angle is that I am an old guy who has worked with carbs on cars long before many of you were born. Here's the problem. The car has been sitting and not on the road for at least 10 years. I had my doubts that it would run even with the carb. Bill comes to my house, we bolt on the manifold with carb, run the fuel line, wire in a fuel pump, turn the key and it starts. I started to say it purrred like a kitten but it was more like a lion since the muffler was missing.

As I stood there and stared at the smoothly running engine I could not shake the feeling that this must be how Igor felt as he watched Dr. Frankenstein admire his work and revel in his masterpiece as it took it's first naturally aspirated breath. I have to tell you, to see that car running with all those hoses, wire connectors, and pipes sticking up everywhere not connected to anything was exhilarating.

I spent months learning and working on my other D's KJet and I'm happy for the experience but there is something about the elegant simplicity of the carb. I'm keeping all of the KJet parts that I removed and may one day convert it back or at least pass it on to the new owner if I get too old to mess with it. But I will never forget the day that engine went from junk yard ready to smooth idle in a few hours.

Carb, CFI, EFI, it's all good.

Great story, I'm glad you've had such a great success with your situation. Welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinglow View Post
    Here's the story on one of Bill's conversion. I found a D in a field several years ago. It took a while to find someone who knew about the car. I just glanced at it and noted a pristine grooved, gas flapped hood and a nice drivers side front quarter panel so I figured it was worth a few thousand at least. I was already restoring another D so I decided to buy that one for parts.

The car had a collapsed fuel system for sure as the gas tank was out of the car, the fuel pump boot was over 50% melted away, and the engine compartment had that smell. So I raided a lot of parts off of it for my other D. One day I noticed that the parts D was actually in better shape in a lot of ways than my main project and I was wondering what the condition of the engine, auto transmission, and other major systems might be. I absolutely did not want to buy a complete KJet rebuild for a car that might not even be reasonably restored so I thought about one of the first things I heard Bill say. Carbing is a quick, less expensive, easy way to get a car running and drivable as you evaluate and work on the rest. And you can go back to KJet for the cost of a new throttle cable.

Another angle is that I am an old guy who has worked with carbs on cars long before many of you were born. Here's the problem. The car has been sitting and not on the road for at least 10 years. I had my doubts that it would run even with the carb. Bill comes to my house, we bolt on the manifold with carb, run the fuel line, wire in a fuel pump, turn the key and it starts. I started to say it purrred like a kitten but it was more like a lion since the muffler was missing.

As I stood there and stared at the smoothly running engine I could not shake the feeling that this must be how Igor felt as he watched Dr. Frankenstein admire his work and revel in his masterpiece as it took it's first naturally aspirated breath. I have to tell you, to see that car running with all those hoses, wire connectors, and pipes sticking up everywhere not connected to anything was exhilarating.

I spent months learning and working on my other D's KJet and I'm happy for the experience but there is something about the elegant simplicity of the carb. I'm keeping all of the KJet parts that I removed and may one day convert it back or at least pass it on to the new owner if I get too old to mess with it. But I will never forget the day that engine went from junk yard ready to smooth idle in a few hours.

Carb, CFI, EFI, it's all good.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

welcome back, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglow View Post
    Here's the story on one of Bill's conversion...
    great 'resurrection' story, and welcome to the forum!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast