Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

I've got my bowl of popcorn and am ready for some good reading.

I see no Bill in the membership list?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Maybe nobody told him about the .org thing. . . . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

I wonder what happened to theAviator. He was getting ready to convert a few months back.

My VIN:    3021

we're back!!!

My VIN:    3021

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I wonder what happened to theAviator. He was getting ready to convert a few months back.
    i was checking everyday to see if there was any updates, i than threw a google search found a dmchelp.com thread about dmctalk going now, checked that daily to find us with a new name, glad they worked everything out, i was kicking myself in the ass because i didnt have bills contact info

danny

Banned

Shoot me a PM. I believe I have both his phone number and email addy.

My VIN:    Vin 11753 ex Vin 11766, 11622

Club(s):   (ADOA) (DCH)

A clean with a scourer as washing up liquid, followed by a respect ought to sort it
    Al Vanstone
    Vin 11753 - Kuwait
    Ex Vin 11766 - Dubai
    Ex Vin 11622 - Culloden Auction

www.deloreanclub.co.uk
    As seen on The One Show, Channel 5, Discovery, Britains Greatest Machines and of course Wheeler Dealers!
    Want to know about balljoint failure.. look here http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...hp?f=13&t=2198

Banned

I am starting to receive PM inquiries that indicate a general "theory of carburetion" post would be appropriate (there's one on the old site, but those archives are slow to migrate over here):

To combust properly in the cylinders, gasoline and air must be mixed in appropriate quantities. The gasoline also needs to be atomized into fine droplets -- liquid gasoline does not combust very well.

For purposes of this post, "carburetor" refers to the Autolite/Motorcraft 2100/2150 2 barrel carburetor in particular.

A carburetor uses air flow into the engine to draw the proper amount of gasoline into the air stream and atomize it. That is the only thing the driver controls -- air flow into the engine (via the throttle plates). Gasoline delivery is automatic, using physical properties of fluid dynamics alone.

As air flows into the engine, it passes through restrictions known as venturis. The venturis are shaped like a section of garden hose pinched between your fingers (the pinch is 360 degrees around). As air passes through the venturis, it speeds up, reducing its pressure in the process -- air inside the venturis has lower pressure than air around any other part of the carburetor.

The venturis are connected to a small supply of gasoline in a little tank known as the bowl. Because air around the bowl has higher pressure than air in the venturis, gasoline is pushed from the bowl to the venturis. Small holes in the venturis atomize the gasoline as it leaves them and enters the air steam into the engine.

Opening the throttle plates increases air flow into the engine, further reducing air pressure in the venturis. As the pressure differential between the venturis and the bowl increases, increased amounts of gasoline are pushed into them. The converse happens when the throttle plates are closed. This is how a carburetor meters fuel for varying amounts of throttle (varying amounts of air).

The amount of fuel that leaves the bowl to the venturis is metered by holes known as "jets." Smaller jets allow less fuel to leave the bowl than larger jets do. To change overall air/fuel ratios, the jets are physically removed and replaced with different sizes.

That is the essence of carburetion.

The addition of a choke plate before the throttle plates allows more fuel to be drafted for any given amount of throttle plate opening. The choke plate restricts air flow into the engine. Because the size of the combustion chambers is unchanged, the volume of air drawn into them is the same, but reduced flow permitted by the choke plate causes that air to have lower pressure than it would have otherwise. Lower pressure than otherwise in the venturis leads to more gasoline than otherwise being pushed into the air stream. When the choke plate is mostly closed, gasoline flow through the venturis is at its richest. As the choke plate opens, gasoline flow through the venturis (relative to air flow metered by by the throttle plates) leans out. When the choke plate is fully open, gasoline flow through the venturis is at its leanest.

On a 2100, choke plate movement is typically automated. Early models used exhaust temperature to heat up a spring attached to the choke plate, gradually opening it. Later models passed electricity through the spring to heat it.

Because gasoline is heavier than air, rapid increases in air flow into the engine will cause the air/fuel mixture to go lean (gasoline being pushed out of the bowl takes longer to catch up to the air). To compensate, there is a little pump attached to the throttle mechanism. Small amounts of throttle movement will inject small amounts of fuel from this pump into the air stream. Large amounts of throttle movement will inject large amounts of fuel from this pump into the air stream. The pump only activates one time for each throttle plate movement.

And that is pretty much it. A carburetor uses air flow into the engine alone to meter its fuel. As long as there is fuel in the bowl, and as long as all air being drawn into the engine passes through the venturis, you will have appropriate fuel delivery.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 08-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    I am starting to receive PM inquiries that indicate a general "theory of carburetion" post would be appropriate
    Would you like for me to post that document I typed up?

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast