FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Even if I didn't have a spare fuel pump with me they day still wouldn't have been too bad. I could have stopped at any auto parts store and gotten a fuel pump capable of filling my carburetor bowl. If I had been depending on a K-Jet fuel system I would be stranded in Jackson until a vendor could overnight me a part.
    So carb owners should expect a 1-2 year lifespan, or even less in your case, out of a fuel pump and carry a spare just in case? Just curious as you and Farrar seem to be having pump woes but I've never heard Bill talk about pumps failing like this when promoting the carb kits.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So carb owners should expect a 1-2 year lifespan, or even less in your case, out of a fuel pump and carry a spare just in case? Just curious as you and Farrar seem to be having pump woes but I've never heard Bill talk about pumps failing like this when promoting the carb kits.
    Keep in mind our fuel pumps cost about $40 and can be purchased at nearly any parts store. K-Jet pumps cost between $90 and $160. For the price of our pumps we can afford to carry a spare.

It isn't carb owners than should expect a 1-2 year lifespan on the fuel pump. It is Airtex owners who can expect a 1-2 year lifespan on the fuel pump. This is why I am switching to another brand.

Keep in mind our fuel pumps cost about $40 and can be purchased at nearly any parts store. K-Jet pumps cost between $90 and $160. For the price of our pumps we can afford to carry a spare..
    I wouldn't care if carb pumps were free and stock pumps were $300. If I get 15-20+ years outof a stock pump I'm pretty happy I don't have to make fuel pump replacement a random maintenance item.

It isn't carb owners than should expect a 1-2 year lifespan on the fuel pump. It is Airtex owners who can expect a 1-2 year lifespan on the fuel pump. This is why I am switching to another brand.
    So it seems it is JUST this this pump that is the issue, was this the recommended pump? Curious that both you and Farrar were using them if they're substandard. Does Bill need to post a carb kit recall?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Banned

I wouldn't care if carb pumps were free and stock pumps were $300. If I get 15-20+ years outof a stock pump I'm pretty happy I don't have to make fuel pump replacement a random maintenance item.

So it seems it is JUST this this pump that is the issue, was this the recommended pump? Curious that both you and Farrar were using them if they're substandard. Does Bill need to post a carb kit recall?
    I want to respond to this so much but I'll shut up and let Bill speak for himself.

I want to respond to this so much but I'll shut up and let Bill speak for himself.
    Bahahahahahaha, you wanted to respond but by saying you won't respond!?!? By all means, you dont need bills permission to speak I'm just asking serious questions. Future carb owners should know if their are issues with the kit. You've been happy with yours but have experienced some issues, why not let potential carb owners know. The carb kit is not infallible.

Banned

I was just going to say that Bill has demonstrated his desire to make improvements to his kits as he continues to develop them. In some ways each kit is a little better than the one before it as he continues to tweak things. I cant speak for another person but I wouldn't be surprised if another fuel pump finds its way into the kits.

This of course depends on a lot of things. I'm going to start testing another fuel pump soon. For all I know the replacement could be better or worse. Lots of factors could be causing the problem such as ethanol, driving on a low tank of gas (I normally buy gas when I have 4 gallons left), or a bad fuel pump as I suspect.

Only time will tell but testing a different pump is a good place to start for determining the problem.

I was just going to say that Bill has demonstrated his desire to make improvements to his kits as he continues to develop them. In some ways each kit is a little better than the one before it as he continues to tweak things. I cant speak for another person but I wouldn't be surprised if another fuel pump finds its way into the kits.

This of course depends on a lot of things. I'm going to start testing another fuel pump soon. For all I know the replacement could be better or worse. Lots of factors could be causing the problem such as ethanol, driving on a low tank of gas (I normally buy gas when I have 4 gallons left), or a bad fuel pump as I suspect.

Only time will tell but testing a different pump is a good place to start for determining the problem.
    IMO, darn good response to to my initial query. Is it recommended to carry a spare pump when bill installs a kit?

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Bahahahahahaha, you wanted to respond but by saying you won't respond!?!? By all means, you dont need bills permission to speak I'm just asking serious questions. Future carb owners should know if their are issues with the kit. You've been happy with yours but have experienced some issues, why not let potential carb owners know. The carb kit is not infallible.
    Very true. Another perfect example of a fuel delivery issue, further proving my point that no product is a fail safe. That is why I would never praise the almighty carb as a end all be all solution. Youre still prone to problems.

Banned

No one has ever recommended that I carry a spare fuel pump. J made my own decision based on Bill and Farrar's honesty. Plus a spare fuel pump is cheaper than some of the tools I carry with me anyway.

If I was stranded without a spare fuel pump I still could have limped to Autozone by manually filling the bowl. You can't do that with Kjet.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

If I was stranded without a spare fuel pump I still could have limped to Autozone by manually filling the bowl. You can't do that with Kjet.
    That isnt my point. My point is you can face issues either way, touting one method is better than another gets you no where. Its just as pointless ad me saying kjet wont deisel when I shut it off. I can pick pros and cons of both fuel delivery methods.

Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast