FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

Banned

As promised:
    LoadstarBus5.jpg

I keep telling you Boo Boos: if you want your vehicle to run right:
    - Motorcraft 2100
    - High voltage ignition (this bus has an Ignitor electronic ignition module where the points used to be)
    - MSD plug wires
    - Motorcraft or Delco plugs with .05" gap

The bus starts immediately on the first key turn, no matter how hot or cold it is outside, and runs flawlessly thereafter (even sans vacuum advance -- did you notice the barb has a vacuum cap on it? There's a hole in the advance diaphragm, and replacement diaphragms for those Holley distributors are rare as hens teeth and cost a small fortune when you do find one. I just advanced base time slightly. The engine spends most of its time at full throttle anyway because it's saddled to a humongous Allison automatic transmission -- you basically put your foot on the floor and just leave it there. Everyone is bitching & complaining because the new bus is a straight drive, and apparently I am the only person able to drive it, which is fine with me because they have tortured this poor International every which way since Christmas yet it still hums along. They did manage to put a rod through the oil pan of the other bus).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

question for Bill re: electrical unnecessaries

Bill,

Now that my car is carbureted, can I safely remove the idle ECU and Lambda ECU and save some current draw? My volt meter reads 13v while driving with no lights or a/c running, which seems low to me.

Thanks,
    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Yes you can unplug them.... although the power saving will be negligible. Wanna sell your idle ECU?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Banned

Works for me:
    GroundBusEcuBlock.jpg
    (Is anyone ever going to move archives from the old site to this one...).

Dash gauges can be notoriously inaccurate -- put a hand held meter on the car itself.

Bill Robertson

Banned

FWIW, with everything on except the power windows, at 2,000 RPM, my car draws slightly more than 62 amps:
    LowAmperageDeLoreanHighRPM.jpg

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Yes you can unplug them.... although the power saving will be negligible. Wanna sell your idle ECU?
    Thanks, Martin. Looks like it might be time for a new alternator -- I guess 18 months is average lifespan for a DMC alternator? Oy, vey.

Not planning on selling the idle ECU, though. All of the old fuel system parts I've taken off the car are in storage.

Edit: Bill, do you have low-amp cooling fans on your car?

Edit of the edit: That was measured with a volt meter at the battery terminals. 13.1 v.

Farrar
    Last edited by Farrar; 06-06-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Bill posted when I was typing, clever guy...

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Bill,

Now that my car is carbureted, can I safely remove the idle ECU and Lambda ECU and save some current draw? My volt meter reads 13v while driving with no lights or a/c running, which seems low to me.

Thanks,
    Farrar
    Yes and no. It all depends on what you are tapping into for 12v power to your electric choke. I am currently tapped into a 12v wire that is coming from the idle ECU.

Someday I am going to get around to removing my K-Jet wiring and will run a 12v wire directly from the fusebox area. Perhaps we need to have a tech session to remove our K-Jet wiring.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Thanks, Martin. Looks like it might be time for a new alternator -- I guess 18 months is average lifespan for a DMC alternator? Oy, vey.
    Another reason to use a lifetime warranty from Autozone.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Another reason to use a lifetime warranty from Autozone.
    Already bought one -- need to buy washers.

Farrar

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Yes and no. It all depends on what you are tapping into for 12v power to your electric choke. I am currently tapped into a 12v wire that is coming from the idle ECU.

Someday I am going to get around to removing my K-Jet wiring and will run a 12v wire directly from the fusebox area. Perhaps we need to have a tech session to remove our K-Jet wiring.
    If you are using the idle motor center conductor than that has a 2 amp diode driven from the idle ECU. Don't know what your choke uses but you could just spice the green wire to the black/pink wire and then you won't need the ECU.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast