FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

My VIN:    4642 Former owner of 10787

Club(s):   (DOI)

I just wanted to post these pictures of my old DeLorean. I don't think they are anywhere on this new site and this is the best thread for them.
    Attached Images
    Del Silveira
    Lived the dream, sold the dream. Now living it again.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by delo2.8 View Post
    I just wanted to post these pictures of my old DeLorean. I don't think they are anywhere on this new site and this is the best thread for them.
    Did you have any problems with your choke pulloff clearing the distributor cap? I am planning to install a 604 manifold soon and heard from Bill that my carburetor (which looks identical to yours) might have issues clearing the distributor cap because of the choke pulloff.

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

I want to go out and buy a fuel pump today. How about some part numbers!

I think i'll also wire some male/female connections, as I fear this will be a common repair!
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Banned

Sorry for the delay in getting the part numbers to you:

Airtex E8012S
    Spectra SP8012U

So far I prefer the Spectra brand. It is a little cheaper and is available at Autozone with a one year warranty. In my opinion it is a little easier to install.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

What I have done is bought two fuel pumps, and kept the second one in the glove box as a spare, with terminals already crimped on. That way should fate laugh at me once again and another fuel pump give up its ghost, I can take ten minutes and change the pump out, then keep driving.

(FWIW, I think a lot of our fuel pump failures are due to bad grounding of the inertia switch. I have yet to rectify this problem on my car, but I also have yet to drive it much with the new fuel pump installed so as yet this theory remains untested.)

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    What I have done is bought two fuel pumps, and kept the second one in the glove box as a spare, with terminals already crimped on.
    I'm doing the same thing as well. I'm making a 10 hour drive to Sean's tech day in Georgia this Friday night and should my fuel pump go out, I'll just swap it out and be on my way.

I suspect my problem is ground related too. I haven't rewired the ground to my pump, so I I'll be keeping my fingers crossed all the way there that I don't have a fuel pump issue.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

At the risk of flaming anyone (which is NOT the intent), why is it that the "reliability and ease of carbs" is all of a sudden creating this need for carrying spare fuel pumps?

In other words, DO NOT read this as antagonistic or pro K-Jet or EFI, it is an earnest question that we should try to find an answer to. Both of those two previously mentioned technologies share the same potential problem of the inertia switch.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I'm doing the same thing as well. I'm making a 10 hour drive to Sean's tech day in Georgia this Friday night and should my fuel pump go out, I'll just swap it out and be on my way.

I suspect my problem is ground related too. I haven't rewired the ground to my pump, so I I'll be keeping my fingers crossed all the way there that I don't have a fuel pump issue.
    Do you need a place to crash friday night in atlanta? If so, let me know.

--buddy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    At the risk of flaming anyone (which is NOT the intent), why is it that the "reliability and ease of carbs" is all of a sudden creating this need for carrying spare fuel pumps?

In other words, DO NOT read this as antagonistic or pro K-Jet or EFI, it is an earnest question that we should try to find an answer to. Both of those two previously mentioned technologies share the same potential problem of the inertia switch.
    Bill has about a dozen documented carb conversions and Heninger has done a few as well. Of those there are only 3 documented problems.

1.) The first issue was Bill's in which a piece of trash got sucked into the fuel pump. Trash will kill any fuel pump.

2.) The second issue is on Farrar's car. I believe he has had two pump failures. The source of the problem has not been determined.

3.) The third issue is on my car. I suspected water getting in the boot to be an issue so I sealed it shut with a plastic bag. I suspected the Airtex pump to be trash so I replaced it with a Spectra. I have gone through two fuel pumps (each replaced free under warranty). I now suspect the problem to be ground related. I might just run a ground wire directly to my pump before thursday to test my theory.

So out of 15 cars we have two cars with problems which have not been solved. Are there even two documented and working homebrew EFI conversions on this forum? I wouldn't know because I stopped posting in the EFI thread after my posts started getting deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Do you need a place to crash friday night in atlanta? If so, let me know.

--buddy

Don't know yet. I'm probably just going to drive until I get sleepy and find a hotel room. I wouldn't mind a place to stay Saturday night though. Thanks.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

In other words, DO NOT read this as antagonistic or pro K-Jet or EFI,

[QUOTE=stevedmc;25721] Are there even two documented and working homebrew EFI conversions on this forum?

Interesting.

Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast