FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Window Tinting Advice

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Just out of curiosity did you have your windows tinted or was the car like that when you got it? I am thinking about getting some tint work and am trying to decide where to go.
    It was already on when I bought the car.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have both of my DeLoreans tinted. Legal tint here in North Carolina is 35%, so that is what I have. I had talked to many local tinting places locally over the past several years and found nobody that would touch a DeLorean, or they wanted me to remove the interior panels, and do the work for them while they charge me top dollar.

They were both tinted last year by a local company that specializes in high end cars, exotics, etc. They did my windows and stereo systems in both cars. For tint, I only did the door windows, toll booth windows, and rear window. I personally felt there was no need to tint the rear quarter panel windows. I didn't do it so much for the look, I did it to protect the interior and keep it cooler.

For me, it wasn't the decision to tint........it was finding someone whom I trusted and would do it right. I have finally found that place for tinting and stereo work.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Does anyone have any pics of their tint? This is something I've seriously considered but am not sure how it would look.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I would love to see some pictures as well.

I am going to be replacing my felt strips with the dew wipes posted in another thread. Once they are finished, I'm interested in getting the windows tinted. However, I'd like to see what has been done to figure out what percentage of tint looks the best to me. I like the ceramic tint idea. Pictures...please!

Thanks in advance.
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I posted these pics of my DeLorean to the old DMC Talk.com site.
    Now you are going to ask about cost. I had it done at a business called Dark Side Glass Coating
    13758 Lake City Way NE, Seattle, WA 98125
    Name on outside of business is The Darkside.
    I removed the upper vinyl door panels before I dropped off my car even though I didn’t have to.
    On January 28, 2003 I had both doors and both rear exterior quarter windows done at a cost of $201.28 with state sales tax.
    Then on April 15, 2006 I had the rear window above the parcel shelf done with a tint that is darker than the exterior side windows and cost was $92.48 with state sales tax.
    The window film has a lifetime warranty and it’s called Onyx made by Madico.
    http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    I posted these pics of my DeLorean to the old DMC Talk.com site.
    Now you are going to ask about cost. I had it done at a business called Dark Side Glass Coating
    13758 Lake City Way NE, Seattle, WA 98125
    Name on outside of business is The Darkside.
    I removed the upper vinyl door panels before I dropped off my car even though I didn’t have to.
    On January 28, 2003 I had both doors and both rear exterior quarter windows done at a cost of $201.28 with state sales tax.
    Then on April 15, 2006 I had the rear window above the parcel shelf done with a tint that is darker than the exterior side windows and cost was $92.48 with state sales tax.
    The window film has a lifetime warranty and it’s called Onyx made by Madico.
    http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/
    Those pics are great, Mark. Thanks a lot. And the price is pretty reasonable too! Did they have to remove the drop glass to do it?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Those pics are great, Mark. Thanks a lot. And the price is pretty reasonable too! Did they have to remove the drop glass to do it?
    If you mean by drop glass (the toll booth window) no they did not remove them.
    But, that reminds me I believe I also removed the Support Bracket Lower part number 108318, 108319 on page 8/7/1 of the Parts Manual. I then put a cotton towel between the Toll Booth Window and the interior stainless steel door to act as a support after removing the Support Bracket Lower.
    The removing of the Support Bracket (which has black felt attached) may have been necessary to access the lower edge of the Toll Booth Window.
    I didn’t want anything to interfere with installing the window tint.
    When they put tint on the back window above the parcel shelf I might have removed the passenger seat and put down a thick blanket to have something to kneel down on. Inside the D the ceiling is low and the seats get in the way.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

hm, i like the idea of silvered windows a silver car... do you have photos of the whole car?
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the pictures. The tinting looks great.

Regards,
    - Josh
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd like to do tint someday. That Ceramic stuff sounds interesting (Excellent IR protection without reduced visibility). My biggest issue with tint is the fact that every car I've ever seen it done too had random air bubbles visible and looked like Sh*&!
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast