FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1982 DeLorean Lithograph Print by Larry Lake & JZD's Signature

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

1982 DeLorean Lithograph Print by Larry Lake & JZD's Signature

I attended a classic car auction today, and they had a memorabilia auction before the main event. They happened to have a framed lithograph print of a DeLorean, one I've actually seen before in old issues of DeLorean World, and around the web over the years. However this print was a little different - it's got John DeLorean's signature on it. It's not often something like this comes up for sale, let alone DeLorean memorabilia of any kind at a car auction in my neck of the woods. So without thinking, I bid on it and won! It wasn't until after I walked out of there, that I started to realize that I may have purchased a fake. Is it possible there are forged John DeLorean items out there? I mean, I can understand Babe Ruth or John Lennon, but JZD?

The guy who sold it operates one of these autograph companies out of Vegas, claims he has more DMC stuff in his inventory. They way he talked, it sounds as if he may have purchased this from dmcseller on eBay. I've got an certificate of authenticity, and he said he'll get me all of the information on it's history when he gets back to his shop in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I think I may be just a bit paranoid. I don't think it's a fake, and I know that there are autographed versions of this print by the artist, Larry Lake. It's JZD's signature that's got me a bit worried. I know his signature pretty well, and it looks authentic, but like I said, I think I might just be a little bit paranoid.

IMG_4346 2.jpg
    Last edited by martydmc12; 04-12-2014 at 06:15 AM.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Nice find anyway!

My VIN:    3305

Well signature aside... the picture is AMAZING! There's something "seventies" about that Delorean... I can't explain it, it just tells me "70s"!

Must be sharper edges... I don't know, nice find though!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Very nice. I'm no handwriting expert but the signature does look like his, (unlike someone who had a door panel signature lately).
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

DMCSeller wouldn't have something like this, as the license plate reads "SNOBIRD" in reference to the cocaine sting. JZD had lost the company by the time he walked away from that nightmare, so I doubt he would have signed something like this that would have ended up in DMCSeller's DMC corporate records lot. Also, the signature doesn't look 100% right in my opinion. Just my $0.02
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

a little bit OT but I'm still wondering who dmcseller is...
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    a little bit OT but I'm still wondering who dmcseller is...
    The seller on eBay who is parting out all of the corporate DMC files/paperwork that were seized after the bankruptcy.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Here are several examples of his signature I have that you can compare yours to.

CCI04122014.jpgCCI04122014_0001.jpgCCI04122014_0002.jpg

Hope this helps

Bruce

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    DMCSeller wouldn't have something like this, as the license plate reads "SNOBIRD" in reference to the cocaine sting. JZD had lost the company by the time he walked away from that nightmare, so I doubt he would have signed something like this that would have ended up in DMCSeller's DMC corporate records lot. Also, the signature doesn't look 100% right in my opinion. Just my $0.02
    +1, I don't know if JZD would want to sign something like this - if he did, that's just +100 to his sense of humor in my book.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
    Here are several examples of his signature I have that you can compare yours to.

CCI04122014.jpgCCI04122014_0001.jpgCCI04122014_0002.jpg

Hope this helps

Bruce
    Thanks, Bruce. The first two images of the three look nothing like the signature on the print. But the third one of your photos does. John's signature certainly is mixed, as I've looked at a number of his signatures since I purchased this print last night. Sometimes he clearly spells DeLorean, other times it just looks like a squiggle. I've been asking around, and I hope to have more information in the next couple of days.

What I'm really trying to find out, is the date in which this art was done. It's obvious it's 1982, but when in 1982 - before or after October 19th, 1982? Is it possible that the words "SNO BIRD" have nothing to do with the entrapment, and it's just a huge coincident, especially if was done before his arrest.
    Last edited by martydmc12; 04-13-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast